News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

POPPING SOLUTION?

Started by Lbzg, July 28, 2013, 05:15:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

seedlings

Gremlins often kick my speakers right when I don't want them to.  Pesky buggars.  Ugly too.  Why, just the other day I said to myself, "hey this circuit is starting to come together," and that cheeky gremlin started wailing and whining, then disappeared in a puff of smoke.  (And that's why I think mine is a ninja gremlin, because of his theatrically stealthy entrances and exits.)

I saw a documentary once about how to get rid of them.  Let me see if I still have the link.

CHAD

**edit: I can't find the link, but I'm pretty sure it was a 2 part series.  That second installment was not as memorable as the first one.

duck_arse

Quotethat cheeky gremlin started wailing and whining, then disappeared in a puff of smoke.

what colour was smoke please? and don't guess, exact answers only please.
granny at the G next satdy.

seedlings

Quote from: duck_arse on August 06, 2013, 11:22:07 AM
Quotethat cheeky gremlin started wailing and whining, then disappeared in a puff of smoke.

what colour was smoke please? and don't guess, exact answers only please.

what, you think this is a joke or something?  Issues this serious must be documented.  Right here is a pic of that gremlin wailing in a puff of smoke.  I apologize for the quality, but he was moving so quick.

Narsty critters.  Greenish brownish nightmare.

CHAD

Lbzg

Hi guys,

I have returned from my vacation, and I thank you all for your contribution to this topic for that time.

I have noticed that you mentioned that tonepad 5 offboard need to be used and I have found that (I have been using it as default for a long time) it makes some pedals pop even more than beavis or arons layout...best for I see is guitar fx layouts one...but it still produces pop...

One of you mentioned that I maybe wanna clear mechanical pop and that is not true, I'm aware of click in switch and that click does not infects amps output as it is heard trough speakers...no I'm "simply" having problem with old,well known, every day comes and stays too long popping...

I have found some articles on web for that matter and when I try them I'll report back if I have found solution for it...

Why you guys don't post pics of your pedals switching? I don't wanna copy that just wanna be sure for it...please share...

duck_arse

http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=36392.0

there is **currently** 1127 pages of photos of built, non-popp pedals. there will be quite a few pictures of fully wired, non-popping-bypasses with all secrets revealed, but you will need to look.

Lbzg

Thanks for link! :-)
Lot's of people uses dpdt switch! Is that maybe the answer? I have seen some outstanding builds in there, nice led incorporation with dpdt. Some of those are real artists with this diy pedals. Great work!

OK, back to finding the answer.

I have finally made some progress! I have put 5.1k resistors on fx input and output, each, but on switch itself and to the ground! Popping was reduced instantly! I can say that this reduces about 85% of popping sound. It is still present but does nothing for playing mood (I say it is not bothering anyone). :-)

Can maybe this be upgraded to full 100% solution? Does anyone have some idea? Am I on right track?

seedlings

5k1 from input to ground, and output to ground?  That should not only kill popping, but almost kill the signal form your pickups (unless they're active).  If you used the 5k1 in series from input to the rest of the circuit, and from output of the circuit to the footswitch, I'm not sure how that might help at all.

I use 3p3t switches with a 1M resistor from the input of the circuit to ground, before the first coupling cap.  I believe this is fairly common practice.

Several posts back, I thought you were on track when you found leaking DC voltage from your amp's input.  What ever came of that? 

Have you tried connecting headphones to the output of your pedal(s), instead of connecting your pedal(s) to the amp?

CHAD

Jdansti

Quote from: Lbzg on August 12, 2013, 04:13:37 AM

Why you guys don't post pics of your pedals switching? I don't wanna copy that just wanna be sure for it...please share...

Look here: http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=36392.msg928455#msg928455

These pedals DO NOT POP!  No secrets. The only secret is what your pedals look like. Please stop asking for photos of non-popping pedals.  Your question has been answered. You have now been handed several non-poppers on a silver platter! 

Given the lack of any real evidence that your pedals (if there are any) actually pop, I think that you are jacking with us.  Please prove me wrong. "Why you guys don't post pics of your pedals switching?" The burden of proof is on you, not us.
  • SUPPORTER
R.G. Keene: EXPECT there to be errors, and defeat them...

bluebunny

^^^  +1!
Quote from: Jdansti on August 12, 2013, 01:51:41 PM
You have now been handed several non-poppers on a silver platter!

Yep, hundreds and hundreds...   :icon_rolleyes:
  • SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...

ch1naski

Guys, you're late for our weekly pedal popping Illuminati meeting. ;)
Mockingbird wish me luck.

mistahead

I almost forgot to do the "wink-wink-nudge-nudge" on a build the other day... can only imagine how pop-click-and-clunk that high gain monster would have been without it.

Actually the rest of us are early for the real meeting... sorry mate. :icon_wink:

Jdansti

Quote from: ch1naski on August 12, 2013, 09:57:30 PM
Guys, you're late for our weekly pedal popping Illuminati meeting. ;)

Ah yes... Wasn't there a movie about that?  The secret to unpop a pedal was contained in a code written inside Lenard Nimoy's left prosthetic ear?   ;D
  • SUPPORTER

earthtonesaudio

Lbzg, you are a help vampire.
Your current method to find the answers to your questions is unproductive, so I encourage you to try a different method:

The debugging page and debugging guide outline some good ways to quickly get good help.

mistahead

Look - we're going about this wrong - lets all post pictures of popping pedals so he can track similarities from those to his.

Mine don't pop thanks to the wink-wink-nudge-nudge, but I know some of you built stuff before initiation into the Silent Switch Fold.

Jdansti

^That leaves me out. Anyone else got a popper?
  • SUPPORTER

Jdansti

Quote from: earthtonesaudio on August 12, 2013, 11:33:16 PM
Lbzg, you are a help vampire.

Spot on!!!  That link should be required reading for this forum. We've had a few Help Vampires over the years. Some have been kind of amusing, like Mr. Burst Box. Unfortunately, this one isn't. :(
  • SUPPORTER

deadastronaut

heres a non popping pedal.. ;)

https://www.youtube.com/user/100roberthenry
https://deadastronaut.wixsite.com/effects

chasm reverb/tremshifter/faze filter/abductor II delay/timestream reverb/dreamtime delay/skinwalker hi gain dist/black triangle OD/ nano drums/space patrol fuzz//

bluebunny

• SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...

duck_arse

sorry to hijakk the thread, but, if I wanna convert my burst-box from non-popping to popping mode, what is the resistor values?

(nice to see even some of the hard-heads have finally cracked ....)

ch1naski

Quote from: deadastronaut on August 13, 2013, 06:08:25 AM

heres a non popping pedal.. ;)

so then....
That IC is the anti-pop opamp (the "Popamp") ?

Or  more likely, have the secret silent switch society moderator goons edited the photo so we can't see the actual anti pop circuitry?
Mockingbird wish me luck.