Ernie Ball VP Jr mod

Started by musiclikscreams, August 03, 2013, 11:16:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

musiclikscreams

I was looking at the JHS VP Jr mod and then stumbled upon the AMZ buffer splitter vero layout last night (http://www.muzique.com/lab/splitter.htm). This is pretty much the same deal right? Anything I'm overlooking?

krister

I just run an AMZ Super buffer in front of my 25k EB VP Jr. I used a dual opamp instead of a quad. The combo works quite well.
Gear Reviews and Guitar Related Information > http://krispicks.com

musiclikscreams

I really want to isolate the tuner out tho

musiclikscreams

Just an update:
This was successful.  Ran the input into the AMZ buffer splitter.  sent one output the the tuner out and one to the volume pot.  worked wonders.  i recommend anyone w/ a vp jr to try it

therealfindo

Sweet!

I'm going to try this.. might stick a couple of LEDs in there while I'm at it ;)

therealfindo

Quote from: musiclikscreams on September 13, 2013, 11:35:09 AM
Just an update:
This was successful.  Ran the input into the AMZ buffer splitter.  sent one output the the tuner out and one to the volume pot.  worked wonders.  i recommend anyone w/ a vp jr to try it

I assume you can just leave off the whole 3rd output section of the board, right? same board but only two output sections...?

musiclikscreams

Quote from: therealfindo on September 21, 2013, 07:38:42 AM
Just an update:

I assume you can just leave off the whole 3rd output section of the board, right? same board but only two output sections...?

Yes sir. The trace cuts are the dividing point between the channels. Makes a nice easy reference. I was gonna log the whole project with pictures but forgot to. It's too easy

therealfindo

Just an update:

Finally got around to opening up the back of mine tonight.. discovered a little switch and resistor, apparently for changing the sweep.. did you lose the green pcb? I'm thinking of losing it, and putting open jacks in.. will have to figure out where the switch and resistor comes into it though.

musiclikscreams

Quote from: therealfindo on October 14, 2013, 03:02:00 PM
Just an update:

Finally got around to opening up the back of mine tonight.. discovered a little switch and resistor, apparently for changing the sweep.. did you lose the green pcb? I'm thinking of losing it, and putting open jacks in.. will have to figure out where the switch and resistor comes into it though.

i ditched the board and sweep switch and resistor.  just input to the buffer/splitter, output 1 to pot and output 2 to tuner out

therealfindo

Quote from: musiclikscreams on October 15, 2013, 12:42:00 PM

i ditched the board and sweep switch and resistor.  just input to the buffer/splitter, output 1 to pot and output 2 to tuner out

ah ok.. cool, thanks.

disabled_shredder

I put the buffer splitter in my vp jr and it is almost ear piercing. R2-3 is 2.2m amz suggest 470k for less highs and for fully flat 10-22m what value did you go with and what kind of sound did you get out?
The wild man with a loaded gun and no plan. I'm not held back by rules, just don't know which ones to follow

musiclikscreams

i went with the 2.2m and it sounds very natural

disabled_shredder

I've got th 2.2m and its ear splitting but if I roll off toe down just a tad it's perfect. I wish I could rig a way to run it bypassed sometimes so if there is no power source available you can have it work normal. Ill have to tweak w it.
The wild man with a loaded gun and no plan. I'm not held back by rules, just don't know which ones to follow

therealfindo

Quote from: disabled_shredder on October 25, 2013, 07:00:29 PM
... I wish I could rig a way to run it bypassed sometimes so if there is no power source available you can have it work normal. Ill have to tweak w it.

I'm going to put a 3PDT toggle switch in for just that reason  ;)

therealfindo

Ok, so here's the wiring plan I came up with for the 3pdt switch:

Is it a problem to just wire up the output jacks like that?

disabled_shredder

There can you post a link to the pic it didn't show up on my screen. Thanks.

therealfindo

disabled_shredder

Man what a layout! Why didn't you hard mount the jacks on the board ill take a pic of mine.

therealfindo

Quote from: disabled_shredder on November 02, 2013, 08:30:25 PM
Man what a layout! Why didn't you hard mount the jacks on the board ill take a pic of mine.

well, I was actually going to use open jacks (but couldn't find the image for them..) but I suppose I could reuse the existing jacks and mount them too...

I'm wondering, though, if this wiring will be a problem when it's bypassed - whether the signal will try and go backwards into the circuit - at least to the resistor there at the end of it..?

therealfindo

Ok, so I had a rethink of the switching..

I could do a 4pdt switch like this:

But I'd have to order a switch
or..

would a Millenium Bypass applied to a 3pdt work?

Pretty sure I have all the bits for it already..