Let's play "wtf is this thing?"... Garage Sale Mystery

Started by wtwu, August 16, 2013, 11:18:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wtwu

duck_arse

allow me to be the first to say:

"burst box".

like that old greek brass "clock" thing, no-one knows how these work. how much was it?
granny at the G next satdy.

Hemmel

I love those floating caps and diodes.
Or are they on a small board ??
Bââââ.

wtwu

they are on a small board... but practically...

I bought a pile of random stuff from this estate sale for $7.  The daughter of this 'acid jazz' drummer was trying to get rid of a bunch of his stuff.  He had tackle boxes full of cable mods and some good small tools, but everything that was enticing like some vintage midi equip, she had real prices on.  This box felt like it was empty, but definitely worth the risk...

timd

Could it be some type of DI or filtering? Strange only one 1/4 jack.

candidate

Quackzed

nothing says forever like a solid block of liquid nails!!!

Johan

On pic 3 and 4 there is an ldr next to the lamp...some kind of limiter?
DON'T PANIC

wtwu

Quote from: Quackzed on August 18, 2013, 01:46:37 AM
+1 headphone amp, or some kind of stereo amp ...

that's what I saw at first too.. since it doesn't work to test, I turn to the board...

Govmnt_Lacky

Find it odd that if it is a headphone amp that it would have the outputs (assuming that the 1/4" jack is NOT the output since it is mono) on 3/8" or 3mm jacks  ???

Maybe it is a signal splitter/amplifier? Looks like they used a 12VDC power source via the transformer.
A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America
for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

bluebunny

Those little jacks look mono too.  Only one sprung contact and only two wire connections.   ???
  • SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...

Digital Larry

Digital Larry
Want to quickly design your own effects patches for the Spin FV-1 DSP chip?
https://github.com/HolyCityAudio/SpinCAD-Designer

strungout

Quote from: Digital Larry on August 20, 2013, 09:17:22 AM
Converts acid to jazz and vice versa?

:icon_lol:

Gues you gotta trace and draw a schemo :P If you're that curious that is...
"Displaying my ignorance for the whole world to teach".

"Taste can be acquired, like knowledge. What you find bitter, or can't understand, now, you might appreciate later. If you keep trying".

PRR

• SUPPORTER

MaxPower

It's a... one of those doohickeys... Plug in your headphones, plug in your guitar, and plug in your cd player (cassette player) and jam along or whatever.

I have no idea what I'm talking about...
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters, compared to what lies within us - Emerson

tombaker

Your new Tiny Giant amp enclosure?

But seriously it has two opamps:
http://pdf1.alldatasheet.com/datasheet-pdf/view/25572/STMICROELECTRONICS/UA741CN.html

So it's looking like a headphone amp or splitter, it does only have mono 3.5mm jacks which I don't see as uncommon if it were just a headphone amp, especially if it's as old as it looks.
Blue Box, Harmonic Perculator, Brian May Treble Boost, Klon Vero, Fuzz Face Germ/Sili, Echo Base Delay, CS-3 Monte Allums Mod, JLM 1290 Mic Pres, JLM Mono Mic Pres, Engineer's Thumb, A/B/C & A/B boxes, Tiny Giant Amp, Microamp

deadastronaut

https://www.youtube.com/user/100roberthenry
https://deadastronaut.wixsite.com/effects

chasm reverb/tremshifter/faze filter/abductor II delay/timestream reverb/dreamtime delay/skinwalker hi gain dist/black triangle OD/ nano drums/space patrol fuzz//

Johan

Lamp driven by the opamp closest to the pot, ldr with possibly heat shrinked resistor forming a voltage devider...i still think some kind of compressor/limiter...a 741 or two wouldn't make the best headphone amp...
DON'T PANIC

armdnrdy

HHMMM....According to declassified files I received in accordance to the freedom of information act....I believe it's a NSA data collector.
or a headphone amp...or a metronome...or a....  ???
I just designed a new fuzz circuit! It almost sounds a little different than the last fifty fuzz circuits I designed! ;)

tubegeek

Quote from: armdnrdy on August 21, 2013, 07:09:17 AMI believe it's a NSA data collector.

Yeah, I've been seeing a lot of those at yard sales lately. They must've moved up to a new model.
"The first four times, we figured it was an isolated incident." - Angry Pete

"(Chassis is not a magic garbage dump.)" - PRR