Fat fuzz Factory anybody?

Started by timial, August 18, 2013, 09:18:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

timial

Hi.
Im playing around with the idea of building a fuzzfactory for a while now and have almost all the requiered parts flying around.
Now i have seen demos of the "updated" version which adds a 3way toggle to trigger different caps i guess? Has anybody Build this version or can share info about this pedal (links, schematics, layouts...). I couldnt find anything about the guts of that thing but im pretty shure that there arent any massive changes to the fuzz factory circuit.

Thanks!

Kipper4

I've never heard of the fat fuzz factory or the mods your talking about but there's plenty of info on fuzz factory schematics and layouts on the net just google it up my friend. Sorry cant help with the mods. :)
Ma throats as dry as an overcooked kipper.

Smoke me a Kipper. I'll be back for breakfast.

Grey Paper.
http://www.aronnelson.com/DIYFiles/up/

rousejeremy

Probably involves switching input and output caps.
Consistency is a worthy adversary

www.jeremyrouse.weebly.com

Kipper4

I had a feeling it might be something like a choice of input caps although I'm not to sure how this would fair with the fuzz factory.

Grey Paper.

timial

Quote from: Kipper4 on August 18, 2013, 01:13:29 PM
I've never heard of the fat fuzz factory or the mods your talking about but there's plenty of info on fuzz factory schematics and layouts on the net just google it up my friend. Sorry cant help with the mods. :)

Thanks. Yeah ive seen several factory schematics but it seems that there aint no schem of the "new" Version around...

Kipper4

Just build a factory and experiment with different caps on a switch.

Grey Paper.

joegagan

the in and out caps are 10 uf. the one that makes it not fat is the .1 between Q1 and Q2.
my life is a tribute to the the great men and women who held this country together when the world was in trouble. my debt cannot be repaid, but i will do my best.

timial

Yes i might just breadboard it and experiment with the caps. In and Output caps are 10uf Stock. Any suggestions on values?

Edit: woops havent Seen your post joegagan!

joegagan

3.3 is a nice value to switch with the .1.

also,  npn ge q1 makes a really sweet sounding factory.
my life is a tribute to the the great men and women who held this country together when the world was in trouble. my debt cannot be repaid, but i will do my best.

Jaicen_solo

I like a 0.047 cap there to be honest, I guess that makes it a ThinFuzzFactory. It's much more controlled and tight sounding, though it does make the treble sound harsher.

timial

Its experimenting Time then i guess  :). But since im pretty much a beginner when it comes to that sort of stuff, can someone explane to me how to wire different capacitors to a switch?! I assume one would use a dpdt on-on-on switch? How do i hook the caps up to the switch in a common factory layout? Any help is appreciated   ;D

timial

Quote from: joegagan on August 18, 2013, 03:09:12 PM

also,  npn ge q1 makes a really sweet sounding factory.

I look forward to swap and try different trannies as i have plenty left from a 'bulk' order  :icon_razz:

ficelles

Quote from: joegagan on August 18, 2013, 03:09:12 PM

Anyone tried this? It certainly lets more LF through but is horrendously noisy... should it be a polarised cap?
Prog bass player. Bleep bleep.

Elijah-Baley

The Fat Mod on my DIY pedal adds to the stock cap 100nF one 470nF film or one 2.2uF polarized.
«There is something even higher than the justice which you have been filled with. There is a human impulse known as mercy, a human act known as forgiveness.»
Elijah Baley in Isaac Asimov's The Cave Of Steel

ficelles

Quote from: Elijah-Baley on March 17, 2017, 05:20:45 PM
The Fat Mod on my DIY pedal adds to the stock cap 100nF one 470nF film or one 2.2uF polarized.

Not being much of an electronics person, I'm guessing the plus side is to Q1?
Prog bass player. Bleep bleep.

Elijah-Baley

I had found the Pudgii document, the possible Fat Fuzz Factory made by madbeanpedals. It was unverified, but I copied the Fat Switch. Just one problem, I discover the polarized of 3.3uF was reverse. I used a 2.2uF.
The right orientation is:
Q1 NPN --> -)|+ --> Q2 PNP
It is clear enough? If I remember well if it is reversed sound worse. Try. ;)
«There is something even higher than the justice which you have been filled with. There is a human impulse known as mercy, a human act known as forgiveness.»

nonoxxx

I had made the musikding "der factory" and put a 2.2UF WIMA MPK2 fllm cap it sound really great and for my ears the same (better? ) as the real Fat Fuzz Factory demo I have seen ou youtube

Elijah-Baley

Good! ;)
We are talking about the switching of the 100nF cap C2.

nonoxxx

Yes it's  C2, the others caps are too big , increasing their values will not make any difference