Automotive vinly wrap on guitar pedals?

Started by ThePastRecedes, August 20, 2013, 06:05:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ThePastRecedes

Anybody done this kinda thing? I've been talking with a local graphic designer buddy about it and it doesn't seem like a bad idea. I think Dr. Scientist does something along those lines.

I'm just looking for an easy application for decals. I love the way water slides look it just seems to take forever to do the clear coat... An alternatives if you think that this is bad idea.

Kipper4

Interesting concept.
Why not get your buddy to knock one up for you and try it?
Ma throats as dry as an overcooked kipper.

Smoke me a Kipper. I'll be back for breakfast.

Grey Paper.
http://www.aronnelson.com/DIYFiles/up/

ThePastRecedes

Quote from: Kipper4 on August 20, 2013, 06:10:15 PM
Interesting concept.
Why not get your buddy to knock one up for you and try it?
That's what I'm probably going to do.

Just seeing if there are any big mistakes that I can avoid.  :icon_redface:

merlinb

Quote from: ThePastRecedes on August 20, 2013, 06:05:51 PM
Anybody done this kinda thing?
I did this on my last few pedals. One thing I did find is that after coating with Platikote clear lacquer, the transparent lamination shrank a little bit over a period of weeks, making the edges of the decal look a bit funny. I can live with it, though.

ThePastRecedes

Do you find the clear coat necessary? I'm considering it because I really find the clear coat when doing water slides painfully time consuming  :icon_redface:

merlinb

Quote from: ThePastRecedes on August 21, 2013, 04:27:24 PM
Do you find the clear coat necessary? I'm considering it because I really find the clear coat when doing water slides painfully time consuming  :icon_redface:

No, clear coat isn't really necessary. I did it because I wanted a white (painted) background, which did need coating, and it seemed like a good idea at the time!
The signal generator isn't coated, and is just fine.

stallik

If you're  getting shrinking of the laminate, it's probably due to the laminate not being matched to the vinyl. If its a car wrapping vinyl, it's a cast polymeric and the laminate should be of the same type.
Cast vinyl is the best, the thinnest and by far the most expensive but in these small sizes, that may not be an issue. Applying vinyl round the whole enclosure without creasing at the corners can be tricky but a little heat from a heat gun will make it very conformable. Practice is the key here but a couple of tips..
Don't overheat it.  If you stretch the vinyl out of shape, apply the heat and the vinyl will return to its previous flat state.
When every thing is done, apply heat from the gun to raise the temp of the entire graphic to around 100 degrees or so for a few seconds. This gives the vinyl a new 'memory' so it won't be always trying to pull itself off the box.
Laminated vinyl needs no further protective coats.

When you've perfected all this, try etching the box first. The vinyl can be pressed into crevices (with heat) to give a real 3D effect
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. Albert Einstein

ThePastRecedes

^^^
You sound fairly experienced. Do you have any examples etching and using a laminate?

stallik

Nothing around at the moment and no pics of past works but I'll run one out and do a series of pics to show you what I mean. Might take me a few days as I'm out and about a the moment
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. Albert Einstein