News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

AC4TV Mods...

Started by jishnudg, October 05, 2013, 12:42:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jishnudg

http://www.el34world.com/Forum/index.php?topic=12223.0

A friend of mine has this amp and is keen on modding it to include an fx loop (to put in his delay pedals etc)...what's the best/easiest way that can be done here? Also, I hope this is the right section to put this question in?
Thanks and regards,
J.

induction

I have one of these amps, and I love it. Bearing in mind that a significant amount of the distortion in this amplifier comes from the power tube, putting an effects loop between the preamp and the power amp might not be the best approach, as the time-based effects will still end up going through another distortion stage. What I do instead, is feed the speaker output into a resistive dummy load (15 ohm, 25W) with a line out (and a SWTC V2 instead of the tone control shown in the dummy load link), and then into a solid state power amp (very similar to the ruby, but a larger coupling cap to keep the bass intact), then into a speaker cabinet. Delay and reverb go between the line out and the power amp.

I am very happy with this arrangement. The benefits are 1) reverb and delay don't get distorted, 2) you can have multiple power amps for different purposes: 1 watt for cranked amp tone at bedroom levels (as small as it is, the AC4TV is too loud to crank it up at home), 100 watts for the stage. 3) You don't actually have to mod the amp at all.

guitarmageddon

I've got one and love it too...but I agree, it is what it is. I wanted to try mpods but never found anything worth trying.
I mike it and add effects there (verb and delay) The only other "mods" I tried were different pre amp tubes and adding some cushion padding to the box.
When I was inclined to lug one, I'd run it through a slant 2x12, which sounded great. ;D