Main Menu

NKT213's

Started by PorkyPrimeCut, October 31, 2013, 11:07:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zombiwoof

Quote from: PorkyPrimeCut on November 02, 2013, 05:23:31 PM
Quote from: duck_arse on November 02, 2013, 10:23:41 AM
Quote from: PorkyPrimeCut on November 01, 2013, 09:05:50 AM

I'm certainly not new to fuzz builds but funnily enough, my favourite one is still the first, a BYOC - ESV Tonebender MkII which recently got rehoused...

Sheet steel enclosure. Letraset type over copper Hammerite. Enamel clearcoat. It couldn't have turned out better.

porky, what happened to that case? why're the sides got that little split?

I thought about that myself. From a design perspective there's no reason why it should be there...but it is...ah well.

Still, they're amazingly well made enclosures. Way heavier than aluminium enclosures but pretty much identical in dimensions to the Shin-ei Superfuzz enclosure except for the concaved control knobs section on the side). I bought mine from a European eBay seller who had 4 more. I should've bought the lot & by the time I realised this someone else had beaten me to them.
If you fancy giving them a try this guy sells them in the US. Good luck with questions though. I've messaged him several times & haven't had a single reply. Great salesman...not.

Obviously, the split is there to facilitate the bending of the two sections of the top part of the sloped metal sides, although he should have stopped the slit before it went into the side of the box.  However, the maker of the enclosure could easily have filled the slot and filed it smooth after bending and before painting, and it wouldn't show.  If you got the enclosure unpainted, you could have done this yourself before finishing it.

Al

PorkyPrimeCut

Quote from: zombiwoof on November 03, 2013, 10:48:17 AM
Obviously, the split is there to facilitate the bending of the two sections of the top part of the sloped metal sides, although he should have stopped the slit before it went into the side of the box.  However, the maker of the enclosure could easily have filled the slot and filed it smooth after bending and before painting, and it wouldn't show.  If you got the enclosure unpainted, you could have done this yourself before finishing it.

Obviously to some. Maybe not to others.

Like you say, he got a bit carried away with the slit. It seems that the other seller makes them exactly the same way though so I'm guessing they're using the same template which is slightly flawed.

A friend who works in prop-making drilled the enclosure for me. I just have a fairly average hand-drill which would've been no use.
He actually offered to fill the slit & file it smooth but I told him not to bother. He was already doing me a huge favour & the guy's a busy man.

As to the maker doing it. This would only cost him more time & the price would no doubt have been higher as a result of this.
My friend with the drill was gobsmacked when he heard I bought this for under £10. He would've expected to pay at least three times that.

duck_arse

QuoteFrom a design perspective there's no reason why it should be there

hmmmm, I don't think much of his bending, if he's doing this on a machine (he sure isn't using bocks of wood and mallet, like I do) and splitting the sides. something is definately wrong there. although the box still looks good.

having said that, deeno .....

.... has some pics of a box in the pictures thread, has a similar looking ding in a similar place, but I think it looks like it is supporting the top panel. proper enginnered dings, like. or maybe a divot.
Katy who? what footie?

tubegeek

I wonder if the slit has to be there because he is using a shear and not a saw?
"The first four times, we figured it was an isolated incident." - Angry Pete

"(Chassis is not a magic garbage dump.)" - PRR

duck_arse

@ porky - can you give me some rough measures on that box? seeing as this is a germanium thread, and I seem about to build a mkIII, and I need a change of case.

get me some hammertone, maybe.
Katy who? what footie?

PorkyPrimeCut

Quote from: duck_arse on November 06, 2013, 08:32:12 AM
@ porky - can you give me some rough measures on that box? seeing as this is a germanium thread, and I seem about to build a mkIII, and I need a change of case.

get me some hammertone, maybe.

Where are you based?

This guy's selling them on eBay at a really good price (for what they are).
He's not answering any of my emails about buying more, even though he stated that he'll ship to the UK.

Measurements....

Width - 95mm
Length - 165mm
Height - 30mm (front) & 45mm (back)
Top (flat part) - 55mm

duck_arse

buy one? where's the challenge? the sleepless nights? the bleeding fingers? the hacksaw and clamps? the pile of used sandpaper?

ahem. no, I'd be cutting some steel and bending w/ blocks/mallet, wood for sides. cost ~0$. I had been thinking about the flat shape, before bending, needed to make one of those 'tapering to the toe' boxes like a marshall super fuzz(?). some nasty tricky cuts needed.

thanks for measures, sounds like plenny room, even though I don't need it for a fuzz.
Katy who? what footie?

PorkyPrimeCut

Quote from: duck_arse on November 06, 2013, 11:05:45 AM
buy one? where's the challenge? the sleepless nights? the bleeding fingers? the hacksaw and clamps? the pile of used sandpaper?

ahem. no, I'd be cutting some steel and bending w/ blocks/mallet, wood for sides. cost ~0$. I had been thinking about the flat shape, before bending, needed to make one of those 'tapering to the toe' boxes like a marshall super fuzz(?). some nasty tricky cuts needed.

thanks for measures, sounds like plenny room, even though I don't need it for a fuzz.

My pleasure.

I was contemplating using a Hammond 1456 Series enclosure a while.. That had wooden sides.

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

duck_arse

hmmm. well I been cutting up cardboard for size testings, and full size is too huge. 20% off all measures ends up about the same as my now boxes, so 10% off all round looks like plenty space.

unfortunately, I've today been searching my meagre Ge stocks, via the breadboard and an E chord, for the earthquack Q3 for a tbIII. that is what this thread is about, isn't? and of course, half are earthquakes, and half are perfect for Q1/2, and I've got some Si's to try in Q1/2 as well, and there's the reading to do .......

how good's your eyesight?
Katy who? what footie?

PorkyPrimeCut

Quote from: duck_arse on November 08, 2013, 09:21:24 AM

unfortunately, I've today been searching my meagre Ge stocks, via the breadboard and an E chord, for the earthquack Q3 for a tbIII. that is what this thread is about, isn't? and of course, half are earthquakes, and half are perfect for Q1/2, and I've got some Si's to try in Q1/2 as well, and there's the reading to do .......

how good's your eyesight?

The NKT213's will be going in a Burns Buzzaround clone. I've read in numerous places that it's very similar to a TBIII.
The thing is, I have a TBIII that I made myself that's deeply underwhelming. On the other hand I had a go on a friends Burns Buzzaround & was blown away.

My eyesight's fine, thanks :)