News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

Bending IC legs

Started by Govmnt_Lacky, November 26, 2013, 10:31:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Govmnt_Lacky

Fellow Forumites....

How are you all bending the IC legs to get them to easily fit into the IC sockets?

Is there a better way then just the old "bend them by hand" technique?
A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America
for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

Kipper4

I grab the body and press the legs on one side against the bench (flat surface) then the other if needs be
Ma throats as dry as an overcooked kipper.

Smoke me a Kipper. I'll be back for breakfast.

Grey Paper.
http://www.aronnelson.com/DIYFiles/up/

micromegas

or you could use one of these:

Software Developer @ bela.io

tubegeek

I put the legs from one side in partway first, then gently press on the other side's legs all at once with a pick or the shaft of a screwdriver so they stay in a line, until they drop in.
"The first four times, we figured it was an isolated incident." - Angry Pete

"(Chassis is not a magic garbage dump.)" - PRR

Fender3D

Quote from: Kipper4 on November 26, 2013, 10:38:16 AM
I grab the body and press the legs on one side against the bench (flat surface) then the other if needs be

+1
"NOT FLAMMABLE" is not a challenge

woody alien

I use the closest holes to the edge of perfboard, which has, of course enough holes, that you can bend all the legs(one side at a time) at one squeeze.

Works really well for sockets and breadboard, at least for me, as I've used max. 16 pin ICs. Might take some practicing, though. But once you get the 'feeling' of the stiffness of those IC legs, it
becomes a squeeze 'n' breeze. 

On the other hand, if one needs to populate much more sockets, or breadboards, with brand new ICs, it could well be worth to make a bending jig, which could then be mounted to a drill press table, for example.

deadastronaut

i can't bend my legs when they are cold too.....coat is on....

+1 on the bench bend...
https://www.youtube.com/user/100roberthenry
https://deadastronaut.wixsite.com/effects

chasm reverb/tremshifter/faze filter/abductor II delay/timestream reverb/dreamtime delay/skinwalker hi gain dist/black triangle OD/ nano drums/space patrol fuzz//

Govmnt_Lacky

Thanks all for the replies..

I usually do the "press one side against the falt surface" method. It has worked and will continue to work however, I was more interested in any tools that might be available to do this. Something consistent. Along the lones of the lead forming tools for resistors and such.

Will have to look into the tool you linked micro  ;)

Anyone else use a reliable tool for bending their IC legs?
A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America

armdnrdy

I just designed a new fuzz circuit! It almost sounds a little different than the last fifty fuzz circuits I designed! ;)

Govmnt_Lacky

Its too funny....

So, I went to Jameco to actually order the IC bender tool in micro's post above and immediately got excited at the "Free Shipping on ALL orders today only"

Only to find out that the ad is a LIE. Once you click to get the code.... ONLY then it tells you that it MUST be a $25 minimum order!!!!!!  :icon_evil:

Gotta love truth in advertising!!!  ::)

EDIT: I guess Jameco has a $25 minimum order policy.... So I guess it is not entirely false!  :P

davent

^I think Futerlec also have those but as i understand it ordering there can be a major challenge.
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/photobucket-hotlink-fix/kegnjbncdcliihbemealioapbifiaedg

Govmnt_Lacky

Quote from: davent on November 26, 2013, 01:01:18 PM
...but as i understand it ordering there can be a major challenge.

That is putting it MILDLY!!!  ::)

R.G.

First of all, they're deliberately made a bit too wide so they will mildly hold themselves in PCBs by friction. Bending them to perfect alignment defeats this.

The industry realizes the issues with this for manual operations and makes DIP inserters, which hold the pins perfectly square while they're inserted, but then allows them to spring back out.

See: http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/21-3605 for a cheap set. I got an OKI chip inserter for DIPs at a surplus place once. They're GREAT, but cost about $120 new.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

Govmnt_Lacky

Quote from: R.G. on November 26, 2013, 01:26:00 PM
First of all, they're deliberately made a bit too wide so they will mildly hold themselves in PCBs by friction. Bending them to perfect alignment defeats this.

The industry realizes the issues with this for manual operations and makes DIP inserters, which hold the pins perfectly square while they're inserted, but then allows them to spring back out.

See: http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/21-3605 for a cheap set. I got an OKI chip inserter for DIPs at a surplus place once. They're GREAT, but cost about $120 new.

RG... thanks for the link.

I have read about those as well. Unfortunately, they are primarily for direct PCB inserts. They are not good for inserting into an IC socket. I have some of the more expensive types that I have salvaged from my work. They are FANTASTIC for mounting chips directly to the PCB for soldering but, they are HORRIBLE for trying to insert an IC into a socket  :-\

I primarily use machined IC sockets and I have not found a problem with straightening the pins of 8-18 pin ICs and having the socket hold. They are usually a very tight fit even after straightening.

It is the "getting those damn legs straight" part that gets old!!!  :icon_evil:

deadastronaut

+1 on keeping them a bit springy.. 8)

https://www.youtube.com/user/100roberthenry
https://deadastronaut.wixsite.com/effects

chasm reverb/tremshifter/faze filter/abductor II delay/timestream reverb/dreamtime delay/skinwalker hi gain dist/black triangle OD/ nano drums/space patrol fuzz//

R.G.

Quote from: Govmnt_Lacky on November 26, 2013, 01:31:50 PM
It is the "getting those damn legs straight" part that gets old!!!  :icon_evil:
Make yourself a straightening tool. Forcing the IC, pins up, into a rectangular channel bends the legs in. So take a bit of plywood for a base. Fit a couple of inches of 1/2" x 1/2" aluminum angle onto it, held down with screws. The vertical side is one of your straighteners. Take another piece of angle free in your hands. Lay the IC pins up against the bolted-down angle, and slide the free angle against it, compressing the legs. This can be embellished with screws to limit how closely they can be pressed, etc.

I can make a drawing if that would help.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

haveyouseenhim

Next video: jrc4558 shot shells :icon_twisted:

I just sit it on a flat surface pins down between two pens and use a finger to keep the IC from springing away. Then I pull the pens together till the pins are perfectly straight.
  • SUPPORTER
http://www.youtube.com/haveyouseenhim89

I'm sorry sir, we only have the regular ohms.

MrStab

erm... *suddenly realises that just using your fingers is probably bad*

it's worked for me so far! i usually kill ICs by making stupid mistakes with the circuit live. probably bad for ESD/moisture/corrosion reasons? i won't lie, even if i find out it is bad, i'll probably keep doing it anyway - but maybe i'll be more cautious.
Recovered guitar player.
Electronics manufacturer.

bluebunny

Quote from: deadastronaut on November 26, 2013, 11:41:20 AM
+1 on the bench bend...

This is starting to sound like a keep-fit class...   ::)

But yeah, I do this too.  Although to avoid ESD-nukage, I usually do it against the inside of my enclosure lid.

[ BTW, looking forward to Mike's video...   :icon_eek: ]
  • SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...

pinkjimiphoton

i use a BFH.*

they WILL go in.

*Big F**kin' Hammer  :icon_mrgreen:
  • SUPPORTER
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace."
Slava Ukraini!
"try whacking the bejesus outta it and see if it works again"....
~Jack Darr