-15dB attenuator on fuzz for active basses

Started by deeno, November 28, 2013, 05:25:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

deeno

Hi guys,
I searched but did not find anything, I would try to put an attenuator on the input of a fuzz for active basses, perhaps with a ToggleSwitch that allows me to exclude it using passive basses.
Bass amps style for instance.
can someone help me with a schematic really easy to make?
thanks in advance!

Gus

Depends on the fuzz circuit.
Can be as simple as one series resistor input
or two resistors

deeno

Gus, the fuzz I'm talking about already has a 33k resistor in series with the input and after a 220n capacitor .. what do you think?

Gus

deeno

it's the Colorsound Bass fuzz, this is the schematic:

I found this attenuator on the web, do you think it will work?

thanks gus!

deeno

I wonder if there is an attenuator that can be used indiscriminately on each pedal or should be calibrated for each .. like the pad button of a mixer to be clear

PRR

> this is the schematic

1) Change R1 to 150K, 100K, 500K, until happy.

2) Increase R5 to 1K, 2K, 5K, until happy.

Taking a wider view: Q1 is a booster. Instead of cutting-down then boosting back up, shouldn't we just take less boost?

Taking a close look: Q2's gain with R3 causes a low input impedance. Maybe under 10K. We would not do that for a clean guitar signal: it would suck-off the highs. We often do for a guitar fuzz-- the fuzz will give plenty of highs, fuzzed highs can be nasty, so we suck-down the highs before the fuzz. This is very much a matter of taste (good/bad your choice).

> found this attenuator on the web

It is 11K input. I think it will suck-off a lot of "tone". Lower volume and lower treble. As a general thing you could try going 10X on all values-- 100K against 10K. Then the instrument sees 100K, which is not too bad, and the following device sees 10K, which is plenty low.

But since you already have a booster, whacking-down the boost makes more sense.

Of course the transformer on the found-schemetic is for something else and not needed, probably not wanted, just to tame a hot bass.
  • SUPPORTER

deeno

thanks PRR!
yes, the part of the transformer is not within the mod and change the resistors is one thing I do now, I try both solutions!
you talk about guitar but in reality this fuzz is intended for an active bass, I was also considering the modification of "pre-gain" as is customary on Fuzz face but I prefer a ToggleSwitch moving from active to passive.
I try and then I tell you!
thank you very much!