EM Drive Problem/Debug Help (solved)

Started by rocket8810, December 26, 2013, 10:11:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rocket8810

Just built the EM drive, and put it into a 1590a box. It's my first 1590a build and I got something odd that I can't figure out.

When the pedal is engaged I get nothing but static, but I can control the volume. I checked continuity, and noticed that when the pedal is engaged there is no connection between input and output. But, by mistake I touched the box while testing continuity of the output and I got continuity, so it seems that the output jack is grounding. I've checked all the wiring, and board and can't find anything wrong. I'm going to make an audio-probe to further check, but not sure what to look for with it.

Everything is wired as it says, the only thing I did a little differently then normal was run the volume to ground directly to the switch as opposed to the output jack. Also, I used Marks offboard layout, as I always do.

Here's some pictures of the enclosure & board

Any ideas where or how this is happening? Any and all help will be much appreciated, i can't believe that such a small circuit would give me trouble like this.

pappasmurfsharem

In the bottom image, the long red wire that goes by the switch.

Is that your ground? Hard to tell

Where that that connecting too?
"I want to build a delay, but I don't have the time."

rocket8810

the red wire goes to the cathod of the led.

Hemmel

I think the problem might be with your switch.
Look at the last picture.
Not turning the picture, let's say the 9 lugs are
G H J
D E F
A B C

Why are lugs B and C connected ? That means that when you hit the switch one way, then B and C are connected, hit the switch again and now A, B and C are connected.
I would suggest you cut the connection between B and C.
Bââââ.

nocentelli

It looks like IvIark's standard switch wiring: B,C and F are all connected to ground. This means B/C grounds the LED when the circuit is "on" (LED negative is connected to A), and F grounds the circuit input (E) in bypass. OP says he's got this switching system to work in the past.
Quote from: kayceesqueeze on the back and never open it up again

Hemmel

Yeah I didn't notice the 2nd pic.
Disregard my post.
Bââââ.

Ice-9

Have you checked that the transistor is in the correct way around, I would check that the effect works without all the bypass switching, ie remove it and just connect the jacks to the in and out connections.

I can't see properly in the picture, but it looks like your PSU jack is a 3 prong switched version, is this correctly wired ?

www.stanleyfx.co.uk

Sanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting the same result. Mick Taylor

Please at least have 1 forum post before sending me a PM demanding something.

rocket8810

Thanks guys for the help, I really appreciate it.. the transistor was in correctly, but I did find the mistake. I kept thinking there was something wrong with my grounding, so I traced the whole grounding setup and found the problem. I'm embarrassed to say, but I screwed up the dc jack wiring. I had the ground attached to the positive lead, which would have been used by the battery if there was one. I totally feel like such a noob, but it happens.

nocentelli

Quote from: kayceesqueeze on the back and never open it up again

rocket8810

totally, and the worst part about it is that it was something that was so easy to overlook, which made this so much more annoying.