Parts/Component Organization

Started by Otsismi, January 25, 2014, 06:00:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Otsismi

How do you guys organize all of the parts that you collect over the years? I have about 2000 resistors, 200 capacitors, ICs, jumpers, pots, switches, etc etc etc and I'm having a lot of trouble keeping it all straight on my workbench. Anyone come up with a nice labeling or bin organization system they'd like to share with the disorganized hobbyists?

amptramp

I have multi-drawer plastic cabinets that I organize as one horizontal level per decade of component value.  There are usually multiple drawers side-to-side or multiple partitions in a single drawer.  I put the lowest values on the left then further increasing values to the right.  I have a large cabinet for resistors and another one for capacitors.  I usually keep electrolytics in a cat-litter bucker since the sizes and form factors do not allow easy loading of parts drawers.  I have one three-drawer cabinet for low-value ceramic trimmer capacitors.  I have a file-cabinet size plastic drawer for larger items like transformers, connectors, meters and stuff like that.  I have a cabinet with two small drawers at the top for hand tools and multimeters and the bottom has wall warts.  I have bookshelves of instruments including instruments for antique radio refurbishment.

smallbearelec

Quote from: Otsismi on January 25, 2014, 06:00:25 PM
How do you guys organize all of the parts that you collect over the years?

Please check out this section of my store:

http://www.smallbearelec.com/servlet/Categories?category=Supplies+and+Storage

I bought most of the organizers for my own use and eventually sought wholesale sources so that I can compete with Home Depot, etc.

Regards
SD

Mac Walker

Large components (jacks, switches, IC's, high count components, etc.) go into the standard plastic pull out drawers.

Small components (resistors, small caps, diodes, low count transistors) go into a three ring binder with plastic baseball card inserts, organized in values from low to high (resistors and caps).  These can be stored on a regular bookshelf. 

The only downside is remembering to keep the tops upright, or the parts will fall out of the plastic inserts.  Part selection seems to be faster than pulling from drawers, for me anyway.

I also have a 2nd three ring binder for paper copies of schematics, misc notes, and drilling templates, they go into full sheet binder inserts.

I think the binder idea came from hackaday.com if memory serves, I stumbled onto it around the same time I ran out of drawer space.

SmoothAction

Mac, thank you for the card binder tip. I have several binders of baseball cards that can be put to use. It's a good one, I'll be using those ASAP thanks!

-max
"Never heard a man speak like this man before, never heard a man speak like this man before. All the days of my life ever since I've been born, never heard a man speak like this man before."

Jdansti

I like my storage to be mobile, so I use plastic storage containers that have one big flip lid and many compartments. I have one for caps, transistors and other semiconductors, one for linear pots, one for log pots, one for switches and jacks, one for LEDs, and one for hardware. I have labels for each compartment. Some are smaller than others, but in general they look like this:

All of my resistors are taped to card stock pages in a three ring binder.

As for keeping up with my inventory, I maintain a spreadsheet and update it when I use parts or buy new ones.
  • SUPPORTER
R.G. Keene: EXPECT there to be errors, and defeat them...

Kipper4

I do the same as John but without the spreadsheet.
I get the organisers at the pound shop
Ma throats as dry as an overcooked kipper.

Smoke me a Kipper. I'll be back for breakfast.

Grey Paper.
http://www.aronnelson.com/DIYFiles/up/

italianguy63

I've been using the plastic organizers too.. I have mine seperated by "build".. My caps, resistors, wire, pots, etc. are in large parts bins, seperated in ziplock bags or spooled on tape.

This plan will only work so long, as the pile of parts builds, it won't work much longer.  I will need to go to pull out drawers or the book/binder idea...
I used to really be with it!  That is, until they changed what "it" is.  Now, I can't find it.  And, I'm scared!  --  Homer Simpson's dad

duck_arse

"capstan cabinets storalls", metal framed pull-out drawers. I used to work for the company that made them, so I got mine. also plastic flip tops like jd for stuff. and anything interesting just gets a cranny on or a nook under the bench. bigger, junkier stuff goes in "spacemakers" (same company), plastic stackable tubs, 2.5l, 12l or 24 litres.
"Bring on the nonsense".

davent

Pedal size-appropriate stuff goes into 3" × 5" Ziploc bags then onto a cut-down Ikea magazine holders. Will hold thousands of resistors.

Bigger parts, pots, switches, jacks and the like go into small-drawer plastic cabs, divided organizers etc.

dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/photobucket-hotlink-fix/kegnjbncdcliihbemealioapbifiaedg

rutabaga bob

I put resistors, caps, and diodes in kraft paper coin envelopes, (about 3" x 5") which stand up in rows across a shoebox.  ICs, sockets, jacks and such go into the clear plastics craft-box organizers, or pull-out drawer organizers.  Sometimes you can find the parts bin things at yard or estate sales for a reasonable price.
Life is just a series of obstacles preventing you from taking a nap...

"I can't resist a filter" - Kipper

Otsismi

Wow all great suggestions. I think the ziploc idea will only promote more chaos for my personal work style. I like the little plastic bin idea but I am prone to knocking things over. I tried the tape to paper trick but the paper does not last extended use and wear.

Mark Hammer

If a person has a nice big workbench, then the universe of storage solutions is HUGE.

The problem arises when individuals have limited workspace, and if one thing about this hobby is true, it is that you can engage in it with very little space requirement.  I'm sure there are plenty of forum members here whose workspace is basically the desk in their dorm-room or bedroom at home.

Having component storage systems that are a) easily visible, b) amenable to dividing parts up into ever-smaller categories, and c) compact, is a real challenge.  Ziplocs will work...up to a point, and can be inexpensive and compact, but do not lend themselves well to some kinds of components (ever stab yourself with IC pins through the bag?  :icon_rolleyes: ).  Drawer systems can be convenient and relatively compact, but as inventory accumulates, new classification systems are required.  (My drawer for 1-10uf electros is busting at the seams, and stuff invariably spills all over when I open it.)  I used to use those flat plastic boxes that hobby shops and dollar stores sell for fishing lures, sewing kits, and needle-point, to store my transistors, but they eventually got too cluttered, so I switched to drawers.  But now they're too cluttered, so I may move back to a larger pile of flat plastic boxes, with only ONE kind of tranny per slot instead of 3 or 4.

deadastronaut

^ yep, my workspace is tiny.. :(

i have 2- 24 drawer storage drawers for resistors..and another for pots/jacks/wire etc..

i have a smaller 25  storage drawer just for caps....and its all easily to hand..

no matter how tidy i am, and i have to be due to limited space , i always end up with a permanent little dish of resistors/caps/leds/trim pots....but it does come in handy..it always has the bit i was after in it.. 8)

https://www.youtube.com/user/100roberthenry
https://deadastronaut.wixsite.com/effects

chasm reverb/tremshifter/faze filter/abductor II delay/timestream reverb/dreamtime delay/skinwalker hi gain dist/black triangle OD/ nano drums/space patrol fuzz//

CodeMonk

Heres a pic of part of my workshop with parts storage:

And you can see on the far right side of this pic, how I keep my spools of wire:

italianguy63

It finally spun out of control....

It just got too hard to keep up with everything; I had to get organized.  I couldn't do it with parts boxes anymore.  I bit the bullet and went and bought some drawered organizers.  Semiconductors/hardware on the left, caps in the middle, resistors on the right.  The plastic parts boxes are now for specific "build" configurations I am working on.

Not seen:  enclosures, shipping materials, current project (piles), protos, tools, wire, heatshrink etc.  My workarea is actually the kitchen counter where I have more light.

MC

I used to really be with it!  That is, until they changed what "it" is.  Now, I can't find it.  And, I'm scared!  --  Homer Simpson's dad

stevie1556

I have 4 multi draw units to keep all my parts in, but lately, as I've started using SMD more I'm using these:

I can get approximately 2200 caps or resistors in each one, in the 0805 size. Also, the cost difference is massive, it's about 16p for 100 SMD resistors, or £1.20 for normal through hole holes. Soni see it as saving money and space.

Jdansti

^That's my problem!  I'm using big old fashioned components!   ;D
  • SUPPORTER
R.G. Keene: EXPECT there to be errors, and defeat them...

poppyman

I don't have a permanent worksapce so I use the collectible card binder thing too for resistors, caps, diodes and transistors. You can't really exceed 20 components per "pocket" but it's a great way to visualize component per value.