Getting more voltage out of tube heater filament?

Started by blues_mang, May 14, 2014, 12:17:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jdansti

Any rectification?  Make sure you have DC coming out.
  • SUPPORTER
R.G. Keene: EXPECT there to be errors, and defeat them...

blues_mang

It is (was) a 120V AC to 9V DC wall wart, so it must rectifying it (possibly under the goop on the transformer?).
If you ain't gots da blues in yo shoes, then you got a hole in ya soul.

MetalGuy

There's no need to rediscover the wheel! Voltage doubler and regulator from 6V3AC heaters as found in Mesa Mark IV:

Jdansti

^ Just curious. Does it say C441-443 8200 uF?
  • SUPPORTER
R.G. Keene: EXPECT there to be errors, and defeat them...

MetalGuy

Yes. However it works with lower value caps as well.

blues_mang

That looks easy enough to build on a little piece of perf or stripboard. My schematic reading is a little rusty, but I'll do up a layout and post it to make sure I'm correct. The only thing I'm not sure of is which pins this is connected to. Is it pins 4 and 9 like I originally connected?

MetalGuy

When running 12A_7 tubes' heaters at 6V3AC you should connect pins 4 and 5 together and apply voltage to pin 9 and pins 4/5 respectively take voltage from there.

blues_mang

It looks like on the schemo and on the PCB for the Firefly, pins 4 & 5 are already connected together. That would explain why I'm already getting 6.3VAC from connecting to pins 4 & 9. So that part is set, I just need to figure out a layout for the rest of it and get a hold of some VR9's.

davent

Quote from: blues_mang on May 21, 2014, 09:10:09 PM
It looks like on the schemo and on the PCB for the Firefly, pins 4 & 5 are already connected together. That would explain why I'm already getting 6.3VAC from connecting to pins 4 & 9. So that part is set, I just need to figure out a layout for the rest of it and get a hold of some VR9's.

Are you using the Calhoun Firefly pcb or another with pcb mounted sockets because if not ... you have to connect pin 4&5 for 12a_7 tubes when heater powered by 6v3, one wire to 4&5 the other to pin 9. If you're powering with 12v6  you connect one wire to 4  and the other to 5.

John posted the tube pinout earlier in the thread for reference.

Here's the goto Firefly layout, showing correct heater wiring for a 6v3 supply.

http://www.diyguitarist.com/PDF_Files/FireflyChassis.pdf
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/photobucket-hotlink-fix/kegnjbncdcliihbemealioapbifiaedg

blues_mang

I'm using the PCB in the link on the first page purchased from a forum member a while back. The sockets are pcb mounted and the pcb clearly shows a trace connecting pins 4 & 5.