DS-1 acting stupid after it's been on for a few minutes

Started by ayayay!, May 29, 2014, 12:05:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ayayay!

Schem:  http://www.aronnelson.com/gallery/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=5779&g2_serialNumber=2

Issue:  Pedal is fine in bypass.  When effect is engaged, after a few minutes of playing, some wooly distortion starts building underneath the guitar signal.  Then it takes over eventually.  Nothing but static.  Sometimes flipping the pedals a few times brings it back.  Sometimes the engaged signal is completely muted.  Sometimes it comes back completely normal again.  Again, fine in bypass, but can be static-y or muted when engaged.

This sounds like the nasty dying-cap sound that you often hear in amps.  I swapped the flip-flip ground cap c22 with a new one.  (I had read somewhere at one time that can often lead to flip-flop failure if it's bad.)  I also swapped Q6, Q7 & Q8, no difference.  The flip-flop itself seems fine as well.  I've quadruple checked all the cabling and looks for any leads or components that may be exposed or grounding out, nothing found.  Since the nature of it is that it fails over time, I'm really thinking this is component failure.  Finding which component (like I said, I suspect a cap) is the trick.

I have used an audio probe and traced it all the way through.  Nothing found.  Makes it really a pain too that it starts after 10 -15 minutes of playing. 

Ideas? 
The people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living.

italianguy63

Heat related failure?  Look for a component that heats up?
I used to really be with it!  That is, until they changed what "it" is.  Now, I can't find it.  And, I'm scared!  --  Homer Simpson's dad

ayayay!

Yeah, sounds like it, right?  Nothing's warm to the touch.   :icon_confused:
The people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living.

italianguy63

Dumb question-- batt power or wort?  (Bad battery?)
I used to really be with it!  That is, until they changed what "it" is.  Now, I can't find it.  And, I'm scared!  --  Homer Simpson's dad

ayayay!

italianguy63

I'm out of ideas on my limited knowledge, but I would bet semi-conductor.

duck_arse

pull out C2, C5 and C9 electros, replace with polys. then C14 and C8, more polys. see what is then.
It won't work, Wayne.

ayayay!

Quote from: duck_arse on May 29, 2014, 01:04:29 PM
pull out C2, C5 and C9 electros, replace with polys. then C14 and C8, more polys. see what is then.

Those are all already upgraded to metal film.  :/

ayayay!

Seljer

Some voltage measurements on all the semiconductor devices couldn't hurt. Might be able to spot something funny.

Quackzed

elecro's ... you just can't trust 'em... i'd give any electros the bad cop treatment... and if they even blink, rip 'em out and replace 'em.
maybee try wiggling the electros with the thing plugged in and powered, see if you can get it to do its weird failure thing...
nothing says forever like a solid block of liquid nails!!!

MrStab

Quote from: ayayay! on May 29, 2014, 12:05:12 PM
Sometimes flipping the pedals a few times brings it back. 

do you mean switching it in & out of bypass? if so, my instinct would be to check the switching section (assuming it's not a clone)
Recovered guitar player.
Electronics manufacturer.