Diode Lift in GGG's ITS8

Started by mrb1946, June 07, 2014, 10:53:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrb1946

The ITS8 was my first pedal and I just completed the original layout for it. Now I want to try out the "Expensive Boutique" mod, but I'm not sure how to do the diode lift, or what exactly that means. This was my first build and I did it pretty confidently after learning a lot of information through the internet the last couple of weeks. The exact instructions say, "disconnect the diode clippers from the feedback loop of the first stage of the circuit." Then it talks about using an SPDT switch as a diode selector switch. I am very lost at this point. Any help is appreciated.

duck_arse

hello mrb.

if you post or link to the circuit diagram, someon is sure to be able to point to and explain exactly what it is you need to do.
It won't work, Wayne.

vigilante397

I'm not remarkably familiar with the term either, but if I understand correctly they're talking about removing the diodes from the PCB and putting them on an ON-OFF-ON switch so you have the option to run the pedal without the clipping diodes for a "clean boost" type effect.
  • SUPPORTER
"Some people love music the way other people love chocolate. Some of us love music the way other people love oxygen."

www.sushiboxfx.com

mrb1946

Quote from: vigilante397 on June 07, 2014, 03:07:16 PM
I'm not remarkably familiar with the term either, but if I understand correctly they're talking about removing the diodes from the PCB and putting them on an ON-OFF-ON switch so you have the option to run the pedal without the clipping diodes for a "clean boost" type effect.
How would I go about doing that? Would I have to get another circuit board?

Buzz

Hi.

Did you put in the switch which lets you choose between 1N4148 and LED clipper diodes?

Instead of the on/on switch to choose between diode types, use an on/off/on switch.

In the centre position (off) you should now have no clippers in the circuit and get clean boost.

I think that is what it means.
I am the Nightrider. I'm a fuel injected stompbox machine. I am the rocker, I am the roller, I am the MIDI-controller!

pappasmurfsharem

Quote from: Buzz on June 07, 2014, 07:31:34 PM
Hi.

Did you put in the switch which lets you choose between 1N4148 and LED clipper diodes?

Instead of the on/on switch to choose between diode types, use an on/off/on switch.

In the centre position (off) you should now have no clippers in the circuit and get clean boost.

Or use LEDs in the middle and have 3 forms of clipping.
"I want to build a delay, but I don't have the time."

mrb1946

Quote from: Buzz on June 07, 2014, 07:31:34 PM
Hi.

I did put in the switch. And it came with a off/on/off switch. And the middle position with the stock layout is not just a clean boost. It uses a clipper (can't remember which it uses in the middle position).

Buzz

The middle position ( off ) has lifted both sets of available clipping diodes from the signal path.

If you turn up the level knob you are now putting more signal through the op-amp than it can handle. So the op amp will clip. Maybe not in a very pretty way.

So this mod will only make a useful clean boost for a fraction of the available volume.

Some pedal mods are wow, others can be pretty so-so.

Don't forget this circuit was not designed to be a clean boost.

There are some great clean boosts out there with minimal parts count.

If you need a clean boost maybe it's time to start planning your next project.

Look up AMZ mosfet booster, LPB2, or even a jfet booster like the stratoblaster.

This is how the snowball starts rolling in this hobby... welcome to your new addiction!

I am the Nightrider. I'm a fuel injected stompbox machine. I am the rocker, I am the roller, I am the MIDI-controller!

mrb1946

Quote from: Buzz on June 07, 2014, 08:37:35 PM
The middle position ( off ) has lifted both sets of available clipping diodes from the signal path.

If you turn up the level knob you are now putting more signal through the op-amp than it can handle. So the op amp will clip. Maybe not in a very pretty way.

So this mod will only make a useful clean boost for a fraction of the available volume.

Some pedal mods are wow, others can be pretty so-so.

Don't forget this circuit was not designed to be a clean boost.

There are some great clean boosts out there with minimal parts count.

If you need a clean boost maybe it's time to start planning your next project.

Look up AMZ mosfet booster, LPB2, or even a jfet booster like the stratoblaster.

This is how the snowball starts rolling in this hobby... welcome to your new addiction!

Thanks! I already am quite addicted! I'm more interested in hearing the expensive boutique mod than hearing the clean boost, honestly. But I'm just trying to follow the directions for what it says, cause that's the kind of guy I am. Thanks for the post.

duck_arse

good luck following those directions. the D3//D4 leds don't seem to be included on the circuit diagram, except it shows D4 as the offboard status led. what have you fitted to your board, D1, D2a and b and the D3 and D4 leds? it seems to me that if you wire your on-off-on switch as shown, with the 5 diodes fitted, you have assymetric clipping, 2 leds clipping for more headroom, and no, or lifted, diodes, and only opamp clipping. then you just need to change the marked component values, and you will be hearing expensive boutiques in no time.
It won't work, Wayne.