Pitch to Voltage PV-1 trouble shooting help

Started by lulu_joe13, July 25, 2014, 02:21:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lulu_joe13

Hello, I am working on getting a PV-1 up and going.

The PV-1 is a pitch to voltage converter designed by Harry Bissel and I know of one person that uses it.
Needless to say mine doesn't work and I'm stuck. I have added a link for the original project pdf that has the schematic. There is a link to a pdf of my project with voltages listed for ICs, transistors and diodes. There are links to a photo of the top and bottom of the board I made and populated, Any help would be much appreciated.

http://www.radioles.com/works/pv1_611-1.pdf

http://www.radioles.com/works/PV-1%20trouble%20shooting.pdf

Mark Hammer

Harry posted here sometime within the last 3 years or so, expressing some shortcomings and dissatisfaction with the PV-1.  I have a board etched and stuffed sitting around, but have never bothered to wire it up because of his post.  Wish I could help but I don't have anything to offer.

An excellent place to start, though, would likely be here: http://www.electro-music.com/forum/

If I can find his e-mail address, I'll PM you with it.  He's a helluva nice guy and I'm sure he'll provide some tips.

Lurco

Joe, are your copper-traces all trustworthy? (can`t tell from the picture).

lulu_joe13

Dude, nothing I say or do is trustworthy!!!!!!! Seems so in this case, though. I'll check continuity thoroughly though.

lulu_joe13

The copper traces are ok. I have systematically checked continuity under the board.

Strategy

Quick comment here, haven't looked over the circuit, but if this is a modular synth circuit and you're feeding it guitar - does it need a boost up to a hotter level? even above line level, 10vpp.
this may already be accounted for in the circuit but just in case

Strategy
-----------------------------------------------------
www.strategymusic.com
www.community-library.net
https://soundcloud.com/strategydickow
https://twitter.com/STRATEGY_PaulD

lulu_joe13

Hello and thanks for the suggestions. It turned out I had a short. It's working!

Mark Hammer

One of the reasons why I like to go over more complicated boards with a toothbrush and methyl hydrate is to make it easier to find such annoying shorts.  When boards are dense, the leftover flux makes it hard to see shorts, so getting rid of the excess flux makes "naked eye" work easier.

Of course that doesn't necessarily address those instances where one inadvertently makes a solder bridge during component installation that ends up looking like it is supposed to be there.  :icon_mad:

But, since you have it up and running, how do you find its performance?

Johan

Not a Helpful reply, but...   Why not just use a lm2907?
a little gain, a schmittrigger and an lm2907?...or is the output nonlinear in a funny way in responce to frequency?
j
DON'T PANIC

Mark Hammer

Quote from: Johan on July 31, 2014, 01:14:33 PM
a little gain, a schmittrigger and an lm2907?...or is the output nonlinear in a funny way in responce to frequency?
j

I would imagine probably because P-2-V with a guitar requires doing a number of other things, such as extracting an envelope, a gate, and pre-conditioning the signal.

StephenGiles

Quote from: Mark Hammer on July 31, 2014, 01:42:49 PM
Quote from: Johan on July 31, 2014, 01:14:33 PM
j

I would imagine probably because P-2-V with a guitar requires doing a number of other things, such as extracting an envelope, a gate, and pre-conditioning the signal.

.....to say nothing of decent fundamental extraction. Without that, the LM 2907 is useless.
"I want my meat burned, like St Joan. Bring me pickles and vicious mustards to pierce the tongue like Cardigan's Lancers.".

PeterPan

Also likely not a helpful reply, but I have had the need for a few frequency -> voltage converters (and voltage -> frequency converters) in my past, and though its been too long in the past to recall all the details, i do remember being pleasantly surprised at the relatively easy time I had of it, starting with a single IC solution like the LM2917 http://www.ti.com.cn/general/cn/docs/lit/getliterature.tsp?genericPartNumber=lm2907-n&fileType=pdf. At least the critical function was done for me with just a few parts, and I mainly had to concentrate custom circuity to conditioning the input signal. I know and understand you don't want to abandon the existing work, but if nothing else it might be a solution to tuck away for a future endeavor.

--Randy (PeterPan)
... Second Star to the Right, and Straight on Till Morning!

lulu_joe13

Thanks for the info on the chips. I searched the web for P2V a while back and found the one I am building which is essentially the circuit out of an etherwave plus theremin by Bob Moog. I am going to use it with bowed instruments to modulate something like the bias of my Gristleizer. There is a discussion in the project pdf why Harry Bissel felt tachs were not the way to go. Thanks. Joe

P.S. I found 2 resistors I used that were only 10% of the value they should be. Dang my old eyes... Hopefully, that'll be it and I can calibrate it and move on to making it useful for music(or some semblance there of).

And, By the way. Where can I find methanol in a store? I tried several hardware stores with no luck.

Mark Hammer

Quote from: lulu_joe13 on August 01, 2014, 10:59:07 AM
And, By the way. Where can I find methanol in a store? I tried several hardware stores with no luck.

Is there a Fisher Scientific, or similar lab-supply distributor, in your area?  They would probably have it.  Also possible that pharmacies might carry it behind the counter.

lulu_joe13

lulu_joe13

I found I had the wrong value resistors in 2 places (4.9K, when it should have been 49.9k) and there is an error in the parts list as well, but not on the schematic. The parts list calls for a 22.1K resistor at R17 and the schematic calls for 221K at R17. I put in the 221K and the machine calibrated right up. Joe.