Best quad-opamp for Tri-Vibe

Started by Crontox102098, November 15, 2014, 03:40:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crontox102098

Hi guys!
Hope you've got a little time to help me with this  ???

I've been seeing a lot of datasheets to see which one is best, but so far I just have not gotten any own response, I have not decided, basing me in the ROG's website.
As I buy very few times in Tayda (in addition to that normally hang out with little money) i like buy the "best" stuff(in this case, op amps and transistors), to give my pedals a little more "quality".

These are my options:
TLC274
LM348
LF347
HA17324A
TL084 / TL074 / TL064

Can you help me?  :'(
Cheers.
I'm Carlos.

I speak spanish, just in case you do not understand what I say.

Kipper4

Ma throats as dry as an overcooked kipper.

Smoke me a Kipper. I'll be back for breakfast.

Grey Paper.
http://www.aronnelson.com/DIYFiles/up/

Crontox102098

Quote from: Kipper4 on November 15, 2014, 04:10:12 AM
http://www.runoffgroove.com/tri-vibe.html

I'd use duals instead of a quad

Quad offers me the possibility of making a tiniest circuit, which is what i need.
I'm Carlos.

I speak spanish, just in case you do not understand what I say.

StephenGiles

Quote from: Crontox102098 on November 15, 2014, 05:02:05 AM
Quote from: Kipper4 on November 15, 2014, 04:10:12 AM
http://www.runoffgroove.com/tri-vibe.html

I'd use duals instead of a quad

Quad offers me the possibility of making a tiniest circuit, which is what i need.

Why do you need a tiny circuit? I had my Rat in a rack unit for a week of shows at The Minack Theatre in Cornwall UK (look it up) with an EH flashing light (forget what it was called) - so I could turn around and reach up to alter the controls!!  :icon_biggrin:

As to the quad opamp - it really makes no difference whatsoever at 9v - use the first one you pull out of your box.
"I want my meat burned, like St Joan. Bring me pickles and vicious mustards to pierce the tongue like Cardigan's Lancers.".

Kipper4

I realise that.
I would think that having a Vref buffer and LFO on the same chip might cause some problems.
I think you may be better off with a TL072 and LM358 (lfo) the 358 is rail to rail and low power consumpition which will probably help make lfo lower noise.
I could be wrong and so for low cost qauds go TL074 would be my go to.
I hope it work out for you
Rich
Ma throats as dry as an overcooked kipper.

Smoke me a Kipper. I'll be back for breakfast.

Grey Paper.
http://www.aronnelson.com/DIYFiles/up/

R.G.

I have to disagree with this. It is by no means certain that a quad guarantees a smaller board layout than a dual. Two duals cost you two more pins, one more +V and one more -V. In return, the two-dual setup lets the outputs all "point" in the same direction, which improves signal flow a lot. A quad has the outputs "pointing" out of all four corners, and it is very hard to lose less than the two more power supply pins that two duals cost you to the problem of the outputs all going opposite directions.

If you want a tiny layout, stand resistors on their ends and use dual opamps.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

anotherjim

Duals do offer more layout choice and can actually save space. It depends on the functions of each amp. Unity gain followers have little or no external components, so with a quad you can put those right at the edge of PCB and that would certainly save space over 2 duals.

It is certainly important to separate the LFO function from the audio to reduce LFO ticking being audible.

The 358 isn't quite rail to rail. The output can't reach the positive supply - always less by 1.5volts. So you may have to change the Vref bias to 3.75 volts (given it's 9volt supply) to get maximum output swing. The 358 output does reach the 0volt rail, but modulation LFO's don't usually need to do that.

It isn't rail-rail, but the 1458 dual makes a very good LFO chip and it doesn't actually take much current (less than a TL0x2 does). Should be low cost.

bluesdevil

I used the Basic Audio pcb layout and used the specified quad  TL064 and it worked great.
"I like the box caps because when I'm done populating the board it looks like a little city....and I'm the Mayor!" - armdnrdy

R.G.

Quote from: bluesdevil on November 15, 2014, 05:20:46 PM
I used the Basic Audio pcb layout and used the specified quad  TL064 and it worked great.
Worked great doesn't have much to do with smallest layout. It would work great with single opamps, too.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

bluesdevil

I'm sorry, I wasn't answering to "smallest layout", just sharing my experience of what I used.
"I like the box caps because when I'm done populating the board it looks like a little city....and I'm the Mayor!" - armdnrdy

davent

Quote from: bluesdevil on November 15, 2014, 05:20:46 PM

The original layout, which John based his layout on, was sized to fit into a 1590B, how much smaller does the OP need to go?
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/photobucket-hotlink-fix/kegnjbncdcliihbemealioapbifiaedg

bluesdevil

I don't know, I was just answering the original post about op amps..... not debating circuit board size with anyone.
Sorry for the distraction in the discussion.... I better get out of here.  Happy soldering everybody!!!

davent

Quote from: bluesdevil on November 15, 2014, 09:53:49 PM
I don't know, I was just answering the original post about op amps..... not debating circuit board size with anyone.
Sorry for the distraction in the discussion.... I better get out of here.  Happy soldering everybody!!!

No. no, i wasn't taking issue with the quad vs. whatever, did my layout (because i wanted all the resistors flat to the board) based on John's layout who based his on one that fit the typical 1590b. Next size down an 'A', will need more then a quad to accomodate that transition.
dave

"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/photobucket-hotlink-fix/kegnjbncdcliihbemealioapbifiaedg