LM3916 Inline VU Meter

Started by karbomusic, April 15, 2015, 04:43:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MrStab

Talking of LM3916's, this is quite the crowd-pleaser:

...if, by "crowd pleaser", you mean being harassed by nerds while you try to pack up after your set. lol

it's a really crude spectrum analyser, fed from a buffer through a simple low pass & high pass filter. i didn't bother to split the guitar fundamental spectrum in half properly, so one channel is too high up, but i won't fix it as it works well enough for the gimmick that it is. there's a hidden "master" switch in the back of the guitar (true bypass), and a switch on the front that grounds the VU meters.

FWFI, i put the raw pickup signal into 2 opamps in parallel - one buffers it and sends it off to the output, the other boosts and sends to the LM3916s.
Recovered guitar player.
Electronics manufacturer.

karbomusic

amptramp

Now you can look like you are playing guitar hero when you are actually playing guitar.  Great for wowing the audience.

vigilante397

Quote from: MrStab on April 21, 2015, 05:35:45 PM

THAT IS SO COOL :icon_eek: I want to do that so bad. I was just thinking the other day about how I only use my bridge pickup anyway. Oh man I want to do that so bad.
  • SUPPORTER
"Some people love music the way other people love chocolate. Some of us love music the way other people love oxygen."

www.sushiboxfx.com

MrStab

lol cheers for the kind wordage. it kinda came out of me being too cheap to fork out for a neck pickup, but i seldom use one anyway.

the original plan was to drive PNPs (i think...) to make just a single-channel meter with 6 LEDs per step, including the middle pickup to make for 3 steps, but there were too many problems with the whole circuit sagging like crazy on two 9V batteries, plus it would've been pointless using an 18-pin chip for that. there's probably a way to make that work, but i figured using the chip "properly" was less hassle. i only use one 9V battery, and use it for 1.25 songs per set, so battery life isn't much of an issue. At least i used to do all that before my bassist quit a few weeks ago...
Recovered guitar player.

bluebunny

Very cool.  Install a whole bunch of them in this:

...and use a piezo bridge.   :D
  • SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...

duck_arse

we'll be expecting cozy to come in about now, with a middle pickup that shoots sparks and has a smoke machine.
"Bring on the nonsense".

MrStab

Quote from: bluebunny on April 22, 2015, 02:56:04 AM
Install a whole bunch of them in this:

i don't know what would be worse, the kettle plug that'd be sticking out of the guitar or the fact the notes are written on the fretboard!
Recovered guitar player.