Want to try a new distortion pedal. Can I get some of your favorites?

Started by plexi12000, May 09, 2015, 02:21:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

plexi12000

hi dudes.  wanna try something new.   right now....my fav is the transistor big muffs.  i love the big, thick, chunky thing!

so i guess i'm looking to go in that direction.  -also something that i can buy a PCB for.  lol-

any suggestions?  favorites?  Thank you  :icon_biggrin:

bloxstompboxes

A bit of a different kind of chunk and popular in discussion at the moment in another thread, how about a Rat?

Floor-mat at the front entrance to my former place of employment. Oh... the irony.

tca

Arsenio's tube sound overdrive, in series.
"The future is here, it's just not evenly distributed yet." -- William Gibson

stonerbox

Quote from: bloxstompboxes on May 09, 2015, 02:23:07 PM
A bit of a different kind of chunk and popular in discussion at the moment in another thread, how about a Rat?

Yeah!  ;D

The Rat with the Ruetz mod (a must) is pretty damn awesome especially with some sort of boost or high output pickups in front of the pedal, then adjust the guitar volume knob to taste. Very fuzzy and big yet dynamic.
There is nothing more to be said or to be done tonight, so hand me over my violin and let us try to forget for half an hour the miserable weather and the still more miserable ways of our fellowmen. - Holmes

suncrush

Well, the Big Muff is a fuzz, not a distortion. You should check out the Fuzz Face, and the original Muff, for sure.

For actual distortion, I'm partial to the MXR Prime Distortion.

tommycataus

"Remember, there's a big difference between kneeling down and bending over." - FZ

Mark Hammer

Jeo Davisson's Obsidian, and Doug Hammond's Highway 89 are two of my favourites.  Pretty well any overdrive or distortion pedal will sound a little different if you plunk a booster in front of it, though.

vigilante397

+1 to the RAT (my favorite), but I'm also a big fan of the Dr. Boogie (Madbean's Chunk Chunk is a fantastic PCB you can purchase for it) and lately I've been playing with the BK Butler Tube Driver (TH Custom makes a great PCB for that one).
  • SUPPORTER
"Some people love music the way other people love chocolate. Some of us love music the way other people love oxygen."

www.sushiboxfx.com

stallik

Deadastro's Spitfire. Still my favourite, huge sound till you turn the guitar volume down then it cleans up nicely :)
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. Albert Einstein

aron

bloxstompboxes

Floor-mat at the front entrance to my former place of employment. Oh... the irony.

plexi12000

wow--- the obsidian sounds killer!!! thanks mark and aron-- i likey!!  i'll check the other ones too.  thank you, gents! 

plexi12000

plexi12000

vigilante397

Quote from: plexi12000 on May 09, 2015, 10:34:45 PM
oh ok....the GGG boys have a Rat pcb! cool--

I think just about everyone has one :P Madbean, Tonepad, GGG, TH Custom (other side of the pond) ...
  • SUPPORTER
"Some people love music the way other people love chocolate. Some of us love music the way other people love oxygen."

www.sushiboxfx.com

aron

Rob Strand

But which Obsidian!

Over time Joe put out about 10 schematics for the Obsidian.
Some had small differences and others had more significant differences.

Roughly there are three incarnations:
- 3 MOSFET gain stages
- The transistor version. Roughly two Fuzz face type stages in cascade.
- A later transistor version.  Buffer ->  Single Transistor Stage -> Fuzz face type stage

Send:     . .- .-. - .... / - --- / --. --- .-. -
According to the water analogy of electricity, transistor leakage is caused by holes.

Mark Hammer

aron

Rob, sorry, didn't post the parent link:

Obsidian Overdrive   Aron Nelson 2/28/101 7:47 pm   
obsidian.mp3
Joe Davisson's Obsidian.
MOSFET Based pedal.
Pacifica w/Kinmans->Bassman->2X12 Greenback Cab.

So it's the MOSFET version. KILLER!