3D Printed PCB Mount

Started by karbomusic, July 12, 2015, 04:31:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

karbomusic

Well, I tried something today that I had no expectation of working, but it did. Yay! This might just replace standoffs in a few of my recurring builds...

I had already drilled holes for standoffs in this test PCB...

Beo

Very nice. What do you use to cut your boards to size?

Govmnt_Lacky

Sweet idea!

What keeps the insert from moving? Pressure fit?
A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America
for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

karbomusic

Quote from: Beo on July 12, 2015, 04:34:43 PM
Very nice. What do you use to cut your boards to size?

Thanks! A little Proxxon craft table saw.

karbomusic

Quote from: Govmnt_Lacky on July 12, 2015, 04:50:19 PM
Sweet idea!

What keeps the insert from moving? Pressure fit?

Yea pressure fit but if I go with it, may dab some epoxy or something to keep it in long term. However, I've got to make a decision really, longevity vs easy to work on if I need to disassemble. If I glue the insert to the box, I'll have to remove the jacks etc in order to slide the PCB out. It sure would be more robust this way though, the standoff method I use is great but this would be even better.

I'm printing a black one as I type this to see how the consistency is.

JohnForeman

I did something similar last year on a couple guitarpcb.com auto wah pedals.  They hold the PCB nicely and make removal easy.  The clips are epoxied in place.  The clips are designed to hold the PCB at an angle 

bloxstompboxes

These are two of the most awesome things I have ever seen for pedal building. Wish I had one of these printers.

Floor-mat at the front entrance to my former place of employment. Oh... the irony.

karbomusic

Quote from: JohnForeman on July 12, 2015, 08:38:19 PM
I did something similar last year on a couple guitarpcb.com auto wah pedals.  They hold the PCB nicely and make removal easy.  The clips are epoxied in place.  The clips are designed to hold the PCB at an angle 

Aha! Very cool! I remember seeing those last year and totally forgot I saw them. Do you still use them?

Quote from: bloxstompboxes on July 12, 2015, 08:53:07 PM
These are two of the most awesome things I have ever seen for pedal building. Wish I had one of these printers.

This is the first time after the initial learning curve and excitement that an opportunity presented itself so that was encouraging. 3D printing is still in its infancy but when within it's limits, it's inspiring. I just came up with an improvement (I hope), I decided to add three tabs that extend to the top of the enclosure, leaving just enough room for the ribs on the bottom plate to ensure it stays put. That will make removal easier and no need for epoxy while at the same time holding it very solidly in place:

bluebunny

• SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...

JohnForeman

I haven't had any new builds since I did those two auto wah's. My last two pedals were buys not builds. But I plan on using them for all my new builds. I have a few builds ready to start but they will be winter projects.  I like you concept. I'll have to try it out on a future build. 

deadastronaut

https://www.youtube.com/user/100roberthenry
https://deadastronaut.wixsite.com/effects

chasm reverb/tremshifter/faze filter/abductor II delay/timestream reverb/dreamtime delay/skinwalker hi gain dist/black triangle OD/ nano drums/space patrol fuzz//

Cozybuilder

Protect the design (patent?)- this is the kind of gadget that people can't live without.
Some people drink from the fountain of knowledge, others just gargle.

tca

^ To late... it has already been released.
"The future is here, it's just not evenly distributed yet." -- William Gibson

bloxstompboxes

Quote from: karbomusic on July 13, 2015, 12:24:59 AM
Quote from: JohnForeman on July 12, 2015, 08:38:19 PM

Aha! Very cool! I remember seeing those last year and totally forgot I saw them. Do you still use them?

Quote from: bloxstompboxes on July 12, 2015, 08:53:07 PM

This is the first time after the initial learning curve and excitement that an opportunity presented itself so that was encouraging. 3D printing is still in its infancy but when within it's limits, it's inspiring. I just came up with an improvement (I hope), I decided to add three tabs that extend to the top of the enclosure, leaving just enough room for the ribs on the bottom plate to ensure it stays put. That will make removal easier and no need for epoxy while at the same time holding it very solidly in place:

Even better. Is it something you might consider selling? Not sure how expensive it is to make them. Then again, it probably takes too long to print them.

Floor-mat at the front entrance to my former place of employment. Oh... the irony.

karbomusic

It is if it is as helpful to others as it is too me, I can look into getting some made so that I could give back to the community by finding away to make them available at some reasonable price of course. It wouldn't be cost effective to print them one at a time so I'd need to have a run of them manufactured. I'll be happy to check into it though.

These are also for Hammond Boxes, I'd have to design and make several to cover the bases and the end-user would need to cut their PCBs at a fairly exact width :)

bloxstompboxes

I can't say 100% that I would be a long term customer. I am currently looking at some different ways of mounting my boards, but this method looks good to me if the cost is right.

karbomusic

Not a problem at all. :) I'll update as things progress. Thanks to all.

Tony Forestiere

Not to derail: Kary. Is your avatar your printed face?
"Duct tape is like the Force. It has a light side and a dark side, and it holds the universe together." Carl Zwanzig
"Whoso neglects learning in his youth, loses the past and is dead for the future." Euripides
"Friends don't let friends use Windows." Me

karbomusic

Quote from: Tony Forestiere on July 13, 2015, 08:47:17 PM

It is. :) I used a Kinect V1 and it could only scan 1/2 of me so I buried the missing half into a block to give it that Hans Solo - Empire Strikes Back look. I'll probably change it soon but yes, you nailed it Tony.

bloxstompboxes

Quote from: karbomusic on July 13, 2015, 08:50:47 PM
Quote from: Tony Forestiere on July 13, 2015, 08:47:17 PM

It is. :) I used a Kinect V1 and it could only scan 1/2 of me so I buried the missing half into a block to give it that Hans Solo - Empire Strikes Back look. I'll probably change it soon but yes, you nailed it Tony.

You should attach it to the wall somehow, paint it the same color, and then maybe by the use of a walkie-talkie stuffed inside of it, start talking to your wife as she walks by and see what happens.