Forum Vibe in a Wah Enclosure?

Started by Breadroster, July 19, 2015, 06:20:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Breadroster

Hi!
I'm building a Forum Vibe and I think that I'll put the Vibe in a footpedal enclosure. Is the standard Wah Enclosure fine for this? How is the sweep range and gear range? The footswitchable pot will be speed. Can I use a 150k pot instead of a 100k to make the sweep bigger if it's not enough? Do I need an ICAR pot like on a Wah?

R.G.

R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

Breadroster

Thanks for that link! Can you help me with the "rocker pot"? Do you know where I can get those? I can't find any when I search. Do you think that I can use the one that is included here? Or is that one completely different?

http://www.tubeampdoctor.com/en/shop_Surplus_amp_Specials/Metall_Chassis_for_Wah_Wah_Effectpedal_for_DIY_Projects_1272?cPath=94

R.G.

The rocker pot can be a single or a dual, and that depends on what you can find and what your mechanical skills are.

The easiest *mechanical* thing to do is to use the rocker pot that's in the chassis; value doesn't matter a whole lot, so the stock 100K-ish one works. This connects to the dual-LED/LDR unit version. This is somewhat electrically fiddly, as it will sometimes quit oscillating as the LDRs dark-adapt at slow speeds. But it has a very wide range, and that's good because wah mechanisms usually don't use the whole pot rotation.

The easiest *electrical* thing to do is to find a dual 100K volume pot (audio taper, stereo volume pot) and adapt it mechanically to work with the existing gear setup. The mechanical setup in the wah pot makes this work properly with toe-down being fastest on a standard A-taper pot. This will have issues with somewhat restricted speed on the LFO because the wah mechanism doesn't usually use the whole pot rotation.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

Kevin Mitchell

For the pot I used a dual gang 100k 24mm solid shaft pot (the usual dual gang for univibe clones I suppose -not reverse for rocker use), drilled a hole in the center of the shaft and slipped in a recycled knurled shaft from a broken pot I had on hand. JB weld does wonders. Hasn't broken off yet and hopefully wont any time soon.

Smallbear put up wah pot mounting brackets for this kind of customization. Which is great because I had to saw out the original pot mount to fit the 24mm pot properly. They pretty much have all the accessories you'd need for something like this.

Don't be afraid to get creative. Or you could make use of the daughter board R.G. was awesome enough to include in the document so sourcing/making an appropriate rocker pot would be less difficult.
  • SUPPORTER