How do I paint my enclosure?

Started by Ben Lyman, September 25, 2015, 05:30:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ben Lyman

I've tried the regular search methods but not really getting a clear answer to my question, so here goes:
If you had to get primer and paint at Ace Hardware, Home Depot, or Michaels Crafts, what kind would you get for a cast aluminum enclosure?
"I like distortion and I like delay. There... I said it!"
                                                                          -S. Vai

Cozybuilder

I use Rust-o-leum primer and paint. It adheres very well, the downside is it takes a while to dry at room temp. To speed things up, I heat an insulated box with a lightbulb- 60W incandescent works well.
Some people drink from the fountain of knowledge, others just gargle.

bloxstompboxes

I have been using rust-o-leum as well but using a toaster oven, as many people do, to dry mine. However, I just recently got a powder coating gun and have coated a couple of enclosures. Got mine at Harbor Freight and I like it so far. I think the powder might suck though, so am looking to try some different brands. Having issues with it receding from the edges of the enclosure when baking. There was powder there beforehand, and after baking, it's gone.

Floor-mat at the front entrance to my former place of employment. Oh... the irony.

davent

Been using spray-can, self etching primer from an automotive supply store but my last can came from home depot. Airbrush  BIN Sealer/Primer over the self etching because it's thick and sandable. For decorating i use Golden Artist Acrylics which are expensively available from Michaels if you have to, better prices to be found elsewhere. Apply those with pretty much anything handy along with an airbrush.
dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/photobucket-hotlink-fix/kegnjbncdcliihbemealioapbifiaedg

Ben Lyman

Thanks guys, does rustoleum make a clear coat for the final coat? I really like to finish with a clear coat to make it shine.
I have just been using whatever paint I had out in the garage but figured it's time to learn what I should really be using.
To speed up drying, I just put it in a sealed cardboard box and put it out in the Sun all day. I guess that method doesn't work everywhere in the world but we've been having 90-100° days... at least for now  :P
"I like distortion and I like delay. There... I said it!"
                                                                          -S. Vai

bloxstompboxes

They do. They have an acrylic, a regular clear, and a laquer. I have used the acrylic and regular clear over decals and their regular spray paint. However, I have heard that the laquer over regular spray paint will cause issues. I just used it last night on powder coat and it was fine.

Floor-mat at the front entrance to my former place of employment. Oh... the irony.

chicago_mike

I like rustoleum aluminum primer spray paint. I just talked to them today and what you do is spray a couple coats..nothing thick, nothing heavy, and rather soon after drying, apply the color / top coat.  Don't let the primer sit for even a full day...it can make the top coat ship and crack. So make sure you have your color coat ready.

It works very nicely and gives a very strong tough finish. And its cool to clear coat too.

duck_arse

an etch primer is the best start. I use water-based everything, and an airbrush, which slows things down. for colour, I use tubes of poster paint/acrylic from the 2$ shop (no-one has spotted it, yet) and then clear with estapol polyeurathane (do not spray) meant for wood. gives a nice textured satin finish. I find all the paints are as good as dry by the time they reach the surfaces, so second coats in a day is doable.
Katy who? what footie?

hymenoptera

To add to what's been stated already, once you start with a particular brand, stick with it for the rest of the project. Different resins and solvents are not always compatible! For instance, don't start with a Rustoleum primer, and then finish with a Krylon gloss. You can get bubbles, irregularities, and even poor adhesion. If you do want to mix brands and styles, be sure to test somewhere on another piece of scrap aluminum first, to make sure they're compatible.
"Radio Shack has nothing for anyone who's serious about electronics." - Jeri Ellsworth

tubegeek

One other thing to add - for a very durable clear coat that builds up thick and easily, try Envirotex (art supply stores, not hardware stores) - this stuff will stand up to savage musicians better than any spray product. Search on "envirotex" in this forum for some visuals and important technique advice.

If you go to the work to get a nice look, it's great to keep it looking sharp long-term.

http://eti-usa.com/envirotex-lite/
"The first four times, we figured it was an isolated incident." - Angry Pete

"(Chassis is not a magic garbage dump.)" - PRR

strassercaster

Quote from: bloxstompboxes on September 25, 2015, 05:57:50 PM
I have been using rust-o-leum as well but using a toaster oven, as many people do, to dry mine. However, I just recently got a powder coating gun and have coated a couple of enclosures. Got mine at Harbor Freight and I like it so far. I think the powder might suck though, so am looking to try some different brands. Having issues with it receding from the edges of the enclosure when baking. There was powder there beforehand, and after baking, it's gone.
i ise rustoleum as well and bake in a toaster ovem at around 200. i dont use primer there is no point really. if you wait to long or dont wait long enough it crazes and crackes and bubbles. its aluminium it will never rust and paint will jeep it fro oxidizing.

I recently starting using a buffing wheel at a boat prop repair shop. i dont paint any that i sell now. i polish them to a chrome finish. i can do 7 an hour . painting sucks i have painted over 25 this year and half the time you have to sand them down and recoat. thats a good thing about the toaster oven if you get spit or imperfections runnthe temp up to 350 for five minutes it will melt the paint smooth be careful painting the side though because you will get a lip of paint at the bottom the heat  wilk thin it out till it drys .

Mark Hammer

Some automotive places sell "tractor paint" (AKA engine paint).  It takes high temperatures, so it works out very nicely with baking in a toaster over (i.e., doesn't bubble easily).  And it's pretty tough.  Downside is that the colour choices are rather limited.  Mind you, if you're into John Deere....

hymenoptera

singing "He wrote Billy Bob loves Charlene In letters three-foot high. And the whole town said that he should have used red, but it looked good to Charlene. In John Deere green"

We get 3 radio stations at work. And they're all country  :icon_rolleyes:
"Radio Shack has nothing for anyone who's serious about electronics." - Jeri Ellsworth