News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

Wood finish enclosures

Started by jez79, November 10, 2015, 09:19:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bluebunny

Quote from: duck_arse on May 13, 2024, 10:48:31 AMthank you, blue, but you are slipping, there is three toothed's to be seen.

I didn't like to bring it up...  ::)

You're right about the white washer and a wood enclosure.  (Ugh.)  But a talented craftsman like you could turn something from a bit of dead tree, Shirley?
  • SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...

daverdave

Sorry, posted in the wrong thread!

amptramp

I have always supported the use of anti-rotation lugs on rotary controls and toothed lockwashers because you can find skirted knobs to cover them.  In one item I built, I had an inner panel made of plexiglass that had holes for the anti-rotation lugs that I did not put in the outer panel because I was going to use chicken head knobs.

Be careful if you do this that the control actually has enough thread depth that you can get the nut on the threaded part of the pot, because it was difficult on this one with the inner plastic and outer metal plates.

With wood, you put a plate under the wood to shield the electronics and all the nuts and anti-rotation holes can go on this plate.  The wood is not supposed to be structural.  You use wood screws to hold the wood to this plate from the inside so they don't show.  Switches and pot shafts can go through the wood that is bored or counterbored from the inside so the nuts never touch the wood.  (Insert joke here about your nuts not touching the wood.)