Why I hate metal film resistors!

Started by plexi12000, November 15, 2015, 11:02:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe

I have trouble reading these too. They should have made the background color gray instead of green.

A few years ago I needed some 2W resistors for a project.. Fortunately they were all the same value, but this time the background color was blue. Ugh.

Electric Warrior

Yeah, the colors of the stripes are very hard to read against a blue background, especially if the stripes are semi translucent.

rumbletone

On a related note, do any of you use an 'auto ranging' meter for measuring resistance? Often it's not a big issue (i.e., if I already know the ballpark resistance) but there are many times where not having to find and select the range would save a ton of time - like when sorting through a pile of random resistors, which inevitably accumulates on my bench. Also, more often I find myself not relying on reading the bands -  I have no issue with the schema, but sometimes have trouble distinguishing the colors (grey, red/brown on some resistors, etc.) so I use the DMM to check my reading of the colors.

DDD

I am a great fun of SMD, hence I am free from hate to the color-coded resistors.
But at the same time I hate SMD capacitors since they have not any coding at all.  >:(
Too old to rock'n'roll, too young to die

nick d

At the end of the day , carbon comp , carbon film , metal film , whatever - if in any doubt , you've got a DMM , use it ! It you haven't got one , you really shouldn't be doing this stuff !

LightSoundGeometry

they are five banded with the multiplier or tolerance i think ..I agree, the brown or neutral background is best. 4 banded carbon comps are easy to read

R.G.

Can you imagine color coding bands or dots on 0603 SMD resistors?

It would work fine from the manufacturing standpoint, but I'd have to get out the old B&L Stereo Zoom to see the dots. 0603s are almost invisible by themselves, let along 0201's. Yes, those exist.

Color coding comes from a time when there was no cost effective way to print numbers on parts at all, and when the parts were on the order of 0.5"/12mm or larger. Like so many things, it's a historical note that's really beyond it's "sell by" date.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

duck_arse

when I'm doing 1206 caps, I put a diff colour dot for each value on them, while they are still in the carrier strip. note the colour/value on the schem, away we go. away might be an overstatement.

there was a time when metal film resistors were (here, commonly) either kack green or deep dark red body colour. they never used to be a problem band reading (but I don't suffer colour blindness, and my eyes were younger then).

[edit :] also, the resistors were 2%, no fifth band.
"Bring on the nonsense".

anotherjim

Must be 40years ago, I saw 1% resistors with body black and the value written on them - still have few in a bits tray. Odd values too, anybody need a 2.67k resistor?  I also remember colour banded 2% being common - don't suppose there's any point in 2% now when 1% are cheap.

Isn't it great that IC's always have the part number printed? Except...except it's in feckin' invisible ink these days AND it rubs off easily. Grrrr...

Vitrolin

SMD resistors som times have very easy numeric code or they have this alpha-numeric code withut any logic:
http://www.talkingelectronics.com/projects/ResistorsMadeEasy/SMD-Resistors-EIA-Markings.html

Quackzed

when your printing on a part that's  smaller than a grain of rice, it's hard to see the logic either way...

:icon_lol: see what i did there?   :icon_lol:
nothing says forever like a solid block of liquid nails!!!

mremic01

Quote from: anotherjim on November 20, 2015, 10:38:45 AM
Odd values too, anybody need a 2.67k resistor?

Bill Finnegan might be interested.
Nyt brenhin gwir, gwr y mae reit idaw dywedut 'y brenhin wyf i'.

Ben Lyman

Quote from: Quackzed on November 20, 2015, 11:35:19 PM
when your printing on a part that's  smaller than a grain of rice, it's hard to see the logic either way...

:icon_lol: see what i did there?   :icon_lol:
I had to zoom in all the way but, yes, I saw it!
"I like distortion and I like delay. There... I said it!"
                                                                          -S. Vai

PRR

> an 'auto ranging' meter for measuring resistance? ... not having to find and select the range would save a ton of time

Pay less (manual ranging) or pay more (range button).

Or see if your present meter has a RANGE button.

When poking 120V outlets I always put my good meter in 199.9V range. Otherwise it starts at milliVolts and chug-chug-chugs up.

I have used this for Amps. I wanted the start-up surge of a pump. The surge is shorter than the first glug of auto-range, gave stupid-low readings. On 199A range it caught the 35 Amp surge.

I hadn't tried this, but just did. Both my good "auto" meters, I can put in Ohms then tap RANGE for the several ranges.

It is a nearly-zero-cost feature for the meter-maker (mostly the cost of the button); though I suppose they save it for the higher-price models.
  • SUPPORTER