noticed the new alpha pots are lighter to turn?

Started by darron, November 22, 2015, 12:01:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

darron

let me start by saying this isn't a complaint.

some of the alpha pots i got in recently have much looser turns. as in they twist much easier. so far they seem to be working 100%, but one knob on the pedal might turn really easily and feels loose.

but then some from the same batch code are not as bad.

i know there are some alpha brand pots out there which are a bit cheaper and junky. this isn't a tayda one! these are the 16mm, solder term, smooth shaft ones i always get in from small bear. i trust small bear and support them 100% by the way. they are a great company and i go to them because then i KNOW i get quality and service for my money. this will be entirely a question about the manufacture, not the awesome distributor.

so far i've only seen this in some 50KB and 100KA which i've re-stocked. again not all are so extreme, but all are noticeable to me. physically they looks the same, the shaft fits the knobs the same, materials look the same, except that the casing is a bit shinier i think.
so has something changed? is this the way of the future? eventually all my old stock will phase out i guess and they will all be this way and match.

the looser turn seems like lesser quality to me. but maybe it is intentional and will slow down the wear along the carbon track? again, haven't had any operation issues. maybe they are a fresh batch and some lubricant needs to dry up a bit before feeling consistent? the inconsistency between within the same batch code i guess has me wondering.

cheers guys.
Blood, Sweat & Flux. Pedals made with lasers and real wires!

smallbearelec

Quote from: darron on November 22, 2015, 12:01:43 AM
some of the alpha pots i got in recently have much looser turns.

Please let me know if the looser feels signals a problem with reliability. While I have never had a quality issue with Alpha, things sometimes happen when you are manufacturing millions of parts.

Regards
SD