Clarinot gettin' hot!

Started by jonnygreentrees, December 11, 2015, 06:57:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bloxstompboxes

The pedal will only draw what it needs in current from the PSU. The PSU will not just forcibly feed 500mA into it. Have you tried flipping the reg as suggested yet? If it and the ICs are hot, then I would say they were definitely damaged by now. They may still work, but I would say that their lives have been significantly shortened. Try the reg the other way around and then, if it works, remember that when swapping all the ICs that got hot.

Floor-mat at the front entrance to my former place of employment. Oh... the irony.

jonnygreentrees

Yep have swapped the reg around and it's still getting really hot   :icon_confused:

If it helps at all my homemade vactrol is lighting up when I play into the circuit.

Is it possible that initially orientating it the wrong way round has damaged the reg causing it to get hot the correct way round? Or does it not workl ike that?

greaser_au

Quote from: jonnygreentrees on December 13, 2015, 03:32:10 PM
Is it possible that initially orientating it the wrong way round has damaged the reg causing it to get hot the correct way round? Or does it not workl ike that?

If it has been powered in reverse at all, you should consider it unserviceable.   Vout>Vin will very likely destroy the device. Old datasheets used to specify using a reverse diode across the regulator. Depending on the failure mode it may have applied unregulated votage to the devices it should be regulating for.

Also note that if there is something that is drawing excess current from the 5V rail, the 78L05 will shut itself down when it gets hot (which doesn't take much), even if it is working correctly.

As discussed previously, you might measure the voltage at pin1 of the PT2399 (with circuit ground as the reference) to confirm regulator operation.

david

jonnygreentrees

great thanks for all the help so far will try with the new components and report back

duck_arse

what is the output voltage of the wall wart?
"Bring on the nonsense".

jonnygreentrees

OK so just stuck in a fresh reg and it's still getting really hot, too hot to touch.

On 9v in I'm getting 11.82v

On pin 1 of the pt2399 I'm getting 4.87v

The sound the pedal is making is a horrible buzz but that could be because I still have the old ICs in which I may have fried

Cozybuilder

The wall wort should not be outputting close to 12V- theres a problem there that needs to be resolved.
Some people drink from the fountain of knowledge, others just gargle.

jonnygreentrees

I'm testing using DC on my DMM, is that correct?

Cozybuilder

Yes, DMM should be reading on DC. It kind of sounds like someone slipped you a 12V wall wart instead of a 9V.

The data sheet for a National Semiconductor 386 shows 12V max supply voltage, you might have a problem with that chip too.

http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/lm386.pdf

jonnygreentrees

it's ok I bought a replacement 386 too

I'll bin the wall wart, could 12v coming in be enough to overheat the reg like that?

bloxstompboxes

I think the max Vin for the 78L05 is something like 30V, so 12V in should not cause an issue to the regulator. It might probably if it was with the wrong polarity though. Check the datasheet on your regulator to be sure though.

Floor-mat at the front entrance to my former place of employment. Oh... the irony.

Cozybuilder

I think you should check C8 for leakage. Something is making the regulator heat up, which you would think is a short or low resistance, and a leaky or shorted C8 looks like a reasonable candidate.

jonnygreentrees

Sorry for the stupid question but how do I test C8 for leakage?

Cheers

duck_arse

this may also sound like a stupid question, but is the wall wart DC output or AC output. AC would explain the buzz, the hot reg, the 11V8 too, probably.

test a cap for leakage by measuring the resistance across the leads out of circuit, or the DC at either end in circuit and powered.
"Bring on the nonsense".

jonnygreentrees

shit it is an AC adapter! Can't believe I've been so stupid!

jonnygreentrees

So it isn't overheating with a BOSS DC adapter, needs a bit of debugging as it only works when I press on the PT2399 but that's just some dodgy soldering.

I have used this adapter briefly with other pedal builds to test them will I have damaged them?

bluebunny

It's possible.  I guess you will just have to test them with the good DC Boss PSU.  Good luck.
  • SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...

Kipper4

Repost some voltages Jonny let's have lookie see.
Ma throats as dry as an overcooked kipper.

Smoke me a Kipper. I'll be back for breakfast.

Grey Paper.
http://www.aronnelson.com/DIYFiles/up/

Cozybuilder

Entertaining reading, I think all of us learned (or relearned) from this.