Yamaha Magicstomp pot ID

Started by RoadtoNever, January 07, 2016, 10:45:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RoadtoNever

Sorry if this is OT. I have a Yamaha Magicstomp with a wonky pot that I'm looking to replace. Anyone know what type of pot this is? It has five leads in total, 270º rotation.

garcho

^ those pictures don't have enough resolution to be of much help, but are you sure there are five "leads"? leads on a pot are called terminals. pots that are mounted on a PCB have two extra "terminals" that aren't actually terminals, they're "snaps" (not sure what the technical term for them is), for more secure mounting to the PCB. almost all potentiometers turn 270º. do you know what value those pots have? there should be a number printed on them, something like '103'. that wonky pot isn't a switching pot, is it? you know, the type that 'clicks' off when you turn it all the way CCW.

EDIT: are those "snaps" called mounting brackets?
  • SUPPORTER
"...and weird on top!"

lars-musik

As the Magicstomp is a digital pedal (I gave mine to a friend who moved away so I cannot peek inside) I hazard a guess that you are looking for a five-pinned encoder.

Try this:

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=5+pin+encoder+filetype%3Ajpg

Something there that looks alike?

mth5044

I agree with garcho, I think you're mistaking the little legs on the left and right of the pot for pins. I'm guessing if you look at the other side, they are just snapped in and not soldered or have traces connected to them.

They appear to be 9mm pots that you can get at tayda, small bear, etc, once you determine the value and taper. As lars-musik mentioned, it's a digital pedal, so it's probably a simple 10kB, but it should say it on there. If you use calipers or sorts, you can get measurements and compare it to the 9mm alpha pot datasheet to be sure.

Unless you're talking about the little black dude below the pots?

RoadtoNever

The side terminals are soldered on. There are no clicks in the pots rotation. The print on the pot is obstructed by the display unit :/
I found a internal part no. from a service manual: WB445700 Desription: Rotary Variable Resistor RD09L1140 10KB

smallbearelec

Quote from: RoadtoNever on January 07, 2016, 08:13:41 PM
internal part no. from a service manual: WB445700 Desription: Rotary Variable Resistor RD09L1140 10KB

It is probably this:

http://smallbear-electronics.mybigcommerce.com/alpha-single-gang-9mm-right-angle-pc-mount/

in 10K linear. But Yamaha had theirs made with a "D" shaft, so you would need to hack off part of the shaft of mine with a cutoff wheel. WEAR GOOGLES!

PRR

Google "WB445700"

On these results is a PDF, "Yamaha_MagicStomp_UB99A_UB9..."

Search the PDF. Page 31 finds "VR002 W B 4 4 5 7 0 0 Rotary Variable Resistor RD09L1140 10KB CONTROL 2"

There's no "VR002" in the rest of the doc, but page 13 shows a "VR2" in with the 4 or 5 knob-things in your teeny picture. Page 5 shows "VR2" as a resistor-like thing going right to the CPU on pins AN0 AN1 AN2 78 79 80. On page 32 I find AN0-2 lower-right of main CPU, running down to three pot-like objects which however have 5 pins, 2 more than electrical requirement.

As said, the side-pins are probably just mounting lugs.

The circuit is a pot selecting zero to 3.3V. The CPU senses this user-set voltage and uses it to control or store some parameter. The pot value is not critical. 10K is the apparent target value, and Linear is the most likely taper. 1K might work but wastes power. 100K might read a little low at "center", or might not if the CPU is CMOS. If you keep breaking these mini-pots, you could run the 3 wires from each pot out to a cast-iron box with the military 2-Watt pots which are harder to bust.

http://oi65.tinypic.com/11w7pex.jpg

EDIT: the Bear posted faster than I could search and type. He probably reads pot-code.
  • SUPPORTER