Newb needs help with BYOC Shredder mods please

Started by Danhorse, January 09, 2016, 05:50:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Danhorse

Hi guys,

Pretty much a newb to electronics, I can solder and put together the BYOC shredder fine, but i cant 'read' schematics as yet. I need some help please - been trying to find info on the bright mod for the Shredder, but i cant find anything even on the BYOC forum search. What i want to do is do the cap change which i believe is in C16, but i cannot relate that to the circuit board which does not label the points as such. . Guys on TGP thread said about changing the 00.1uf cap to 0.220pf, but the current schematic states a 0.22 in C16 so im confused there..

I just need to know exactly what rating of cap to put in and where on the circuit board. its a shame they do not label the board with C15,C16 etc.

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/finished-building-a-byoc-shredder-kit-with-a-couple-of-tweaks.469814/
http://byocelectronics.com/shredderinstructions.pdf

Sorry if i am not explaining to well, hope you guys will be gentle on me, any help is much appreciated.

slacker

The 0.001uf cap they're talking about is R15 on the BYOC schematic. Going from the the picture of the PCB on page four of the instructions there's two 0.001uF caps on the right hand side, I'm pretty sure the top one is C15. You could double check by following the traces, one end of it should connect to V3.

Danhorse

Quote from: slacker on January 09, 2016, 07:34:33 AM
The 0.001uf cap they're talking about is R15 on the BYOC schematic. Going from the the picture of the PCB on page four of the instructions there's two 0.001uF caps on the right hand side, I'm pretty sure the top one is C15. You could double check by following the traces, one end of it should connect to V3.

Thanks Slacker. Yes the C15 runs to the R15, i will check the trace see if it wires to V3.  Weird that i cant find anything on the mods on the BYOC forum. Would you use a film cap or ceramic?

Mark Hammer

Actually, the .0022 cap in position C10 limits high end far more than C15 does.  Consider using 1000pf (.001uf) instead to open up the top end.  C15 is really for keeping a lid on hiss.