Ribbon / Flat Wire Strippers?

Started by Unlikekurt, January 25, 2016, 10:12:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Unlikekurt

Can someone recommend a decent stripper for ribbon cable? Aside from an expensive automated device or heat stripper?
I need to be able to strip an 8 conductor ribbon cable (24awg / 2.5mm pitch) and haven't had much luck finding anything with an appropriate jaw width?

Thanks!

slacker

It's low tech but I just use a lighter. Heat up the ends until they blacken but before they set on fire, let them cool a few seconds and you can strip the ends off with your finger nails. Probably no a great solution if you've got hundreds to do.

PRR

With some soldering irons, you can lay the side of the iron tip on ribbon until it hits copper. Flip, do other side. Quick grab a popsicle stick and drag the end away (saves thumb-burns).

Stinks real bad.

Craps-up the side of the iron (stick-scrape most of the goo off, then let it idle a while).

Does not catch fire like the Zippo technique, so is less fun.

If you are very flush, you can buy iron-tips (may need matching iron) to do wide-joints, and that will do the same on ribbon cable.
  • SUPPORTER

rullywowr

I do it two ways. 

1- score each side of the ribbon with a sharp utility knife until you can see the impression from the other side. Then pull in between the wires with pliers. 

2-  make a hot wire.  YouTube videos of people cutting foam with a nichrome wire to make hobby airplanes.  I made one with some wood, two drywall screws, a guitar string, and a power supply.  Worked ok but smells and you have to get the current just right.
DIY Pedal PCB projects IN STOCK
www.rullywow.com

R.G.

I'm with rully. Single edged razor blade  in a straight line across the cable, using a ruler for guidance and to hold the cable down so you don't razor your finger tips :icon_eek:, being careful to cut just through the plastic, NOT the copper wire. Then do the other side on the same plane. A good pull tears the insulation between the wires right at the "perforations".

If you're dexterous, lay a metal ruler or other metal straight edge so its edge catches the cuts on one side and pull the ribbon from the free end. Most if not all will come loose.

You'll still have to slice between wires to use them. I prefer an X-Acto. Lay the ribbon on a flat piece of wood that won't be damaged by cutting and such, press the point of the knife where you want the cut to start and pull the ribbon away from the knife, don't move the knife. Much better control.

I highly recommend all FX DIYers to spend an hour or two on the tools aisle of a model/hobby store. Start with some good X-Acto knives and blades, and then expand to the rest of the candy store. Or go beg a jeweler to let you just watch him/her quietly for a while. Take donuts. Couldn't hurt.   :icon_biggrin:
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

Unlikekurt

Thanks everyone!  I will try out a few of the methods presented and see what works best for me!

Vitrolin

if you have a soldering pot, you could just dip it for a moment, and the wires gets tinned, smells bad.