Loss of volume with true-bypass

Started by ttist25, January 29, 2016, 09:44:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ttist25

Hello!

I just boxed up my first pedal.  It's a DOD250-ish distortion pedal.  I did the offboard wiring ala Gaussmarkov's tutorial http://gaussmarkov.net/wordpress/thoughts/wiring-up-a-1590b/

Everything is working great except that when I switch the pedal off, there's a big volume drop.  I know the pedal boosts the signal but I was thinking the volume with the pedal switched off should be similar to the volume with the guitar plugged directly into the amp. 

Any thoughts?  Thanks in advance! 

armdnrdy

Post some good images of your build.

Another set (or 100) of eyes is often useful in spotting potential problem areas.
I just designed a new fuzz circuit! It almost sounds a little different than the last fifty fuzz circuits I designed! ;)

garcho

QuoteI was thinking the volume with the pedal switched off should be similar to the volume with the guitar plugged directly into the amp.

it must be similar, or something is seriously wrong. "true bypass" is basically the practical equivalent to being invisible. if you're losing volume, it's because you're losing signal. you have double-checked that bypass is actually quieter than plugged into the amp directly, yes? do you have a A/B pedal?
  • SUPPORTER
"...and weird on top!"