base blocking resistor

Started by Jneely88, February 27, 2016, 10:07:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GibsonGM

Quote from: Jneely88 on March 01, 2016, 11:48:09 PM
So my option is really use a large limiter resistor and increase the circuit gain down the line. The diode is bad news...if I understand

Well, it's kind of up to you.  Changing input impedance, or "dynamic" input input impedance, will alter the 'color' of your tone on the fly.  If you try it out and like it, then it was subtle and not an issue.      If you DON'T like it, I'd play with the base resistor as you are thinking. 

Using more stages to up the gain means more overall stability, altho can lead to a less dynamic circuit response if overdone.  Fuzzes are very compressive, so I wouldn't worry.
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

Jneely88

Yeah it's kind of a damned if you do thing I guess. I added the buffer so I could have a better "input" control. I liked the muff fuzz but I wanted to be able to have it do sort of a dirty boost. Adding the diode also changes the gain & voltages and you have to mess with it to get it back. So does the limiting resistor. So essentially it seems I can't just graft a buffer on to the front end of the muff fuzz without altering the original circuit to make it work. However, I don't like the tone of just a pot on the front end. So I did alter the original circuit to make my idea work. I love the tone I get without the diode or limiting resistor. But it's one or the other. The one I like most is the diode. It sounds closer to the tone I wanted w/o a ton of rework. Lowered the collector resistor on q1 and emitter resistor on q2. I also tried a BJT buffer this morning and it didn't give up the goods. It's not the tone I wanted anyway. All of this because I bought the EH crayon and don't care for it. I have built 5 or 6 different IC od's on my board and they just didn't give me what I wanted. Transistors seem to do it.

Can anyone suggest a book that might give me more insight into impedance and transistors? I have a handle on other elements but what to know how all that plays into my end result.