Mounting tubes in a case

Started by suncrush, February 08, 2017, 01:31:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

suncrush

I'm planning to make a double-barrelled valvecaster to replace the first unit I made.  I did the original with the tube mount screwed to the case, so the tube comes out through a hole drilled in the enclosure.  I'd like to build this unit with the tube fully enclosed so that I can mount it to my pedalboard and move it around.

So, two questions.

1. What have y'all used to mount tubes horizontally inside the case and secure them.

2. Is it necessary to cut vents in the enclosure, or are 12AU7's not hot enough to worry about it?

rutabaga bob

I have just cut and bent a bracket out of scrap metal.  One side large enough to mount the socket, the other wide enough to put mounting holes in.  All that's left is to bolt the bracket to the enclosure.

I would think ventilation couldn't hurt.
Life is just a series of obstacles preventing you from taking a nap...

"I can't resist a filter" - Kipper

digi2t

Quote from: rutabaga bob on February 08, 2017, 02:11:42 PM
I would think ventilation couldn't hurt.

One option...

I would definitely ventilate in some manner.

You can find PCB with mounting holes incorporated, and use that to mount your socket.

• SUPPORTER
Dead End FX
http://www.deadendfx.com/

Asian Icemen rise again...
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=903467

"My ears don't distinguish good from great.  It's a blessing, really." EBK

rutabaga bob

Dino...if he uses the pcb, he'll still have to mount that to something else inside the enclosure.

I like the first pic...have seen something similar in the past.

Cheers!
Larry
Here's a pic of what I've used, for what it's worth...

vigilante397

I think the idea with the PCB is that it's easy enough to mount the PCB to the enclosure via standoffs.
  • SUPPORTER
"Some people love music the way other people love chocolate. Some of us love music the way other people love oxygen."

www.sushiboxfx.com

rutabaga bob

My thought then is: why couldn't you just mount the socket with standoffs?

digi2t

Yeah, you're right Larry. My mind was going in the direction of mounting the PCB in the bottom, and the tube on the side, sort of something like this;

Makes for a bigger enclosure, I know. I guess that's why most mount the tube(s) on the outside, so as not to sacrifice so much pedalboard real estate. Also automatically takes care of the cooling issue.
  • SUPPORTER
Dead End FX

rutabaga bob

There y'go - problem solved!  Nice, Dino!

Renegadrian

Tubes at 12V don't generate heat enough to consider ventilation...do it only at hi voltage (it's rock and roll!)
Done an' workin'=Too many to mention - Tube addict!

davent

I think it was Paul Marossy who made a bracket with a mounted tube socket, the bracket was attached diagonally in a corner, saves a bit of space.

I've mounted lots of tubes horizontally using 'L' brackets to hold the material (aluminum sheet, pcb, garolite) the sockets were mounted to.

dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/photobucket-hotlink-fix/kegnjbncdcliihbemealioapbifiaedg

amptramp

Tuning eye tubes always had to be mounted so they could be seen.  This Marconi 252FM uses a clamp mounted to a bracket with a slot so the tube could be moved up front to the cutout in the dial:

My Fisher KM-60 tuner has a 9-pin tuning eye that has a spring-loaded mounting with the vertical bracket held onto the chassis by two springs.  This facilitates removal and replacement.  The tube in on the upper right in this picture:

All kinds of hardware is available for tube mounting.

greaser_au

Quote from: Renegadrian on February 08, 2017, 03:45:50 PM
Tubes at 12V don't generate heat enough to consider ventilation...do it only at hi voltage (it's rock and roll!)

for a 12A*7, the heater on it's own wastes almost 2 watts - over time it will get quite warm  in a closed box :)     

david

Renegadrian

Quote from: greaser_au on February 08, 2017, 09:40:07 PM

for a 12A*7, the heater on it's own wastes almost 2 watts - over time it will get quite warm  in a closed box :)     

david

2 watts on which voltage?! Of all the valvies I made only one had an internal tube, and there was just a little heat, the tube gets slightly warm at so low voltage...
Done an' workin'=Too many to mention - Tube addict!

bluebunny

Even if the plate is low voltage, the heater is still going to be 12V or 6V.
  • SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...

suncrush

Quote from: Renegadrian on February 09, 2017, 05:56:26 AM

david

2 watts on which voltage?! Of all the valvies I made only one had an internal tube, and there was just a little heat, the tube gets slightly warm at so low voltage...

Yes, and I plan to use 2, if the breadboarding works out.  I plan to run it at 24V, and if that's enough to get a 12AY7 to sound good, I plan to build it switchable between the U and Y.

Groovenut

Quote from: suncrush on February 09, 2017, 08:02:39 AM
Quote from: Renegadrian on February 09, 2017, 05:56:26 AM

david

Yes, and I plan to use 2, if the breadboarding works out.  I plan to run it at 24V, and if that's enough to get a 12AY7 to sound good, I plan to build it switchable between the U and Y.

P=V*I or 150mA heater current at 12 heater voltage = 1.8 watts (300mA @ 6V = 1.8W) Regardless of plate voltage you'll be emitting some heat
You've got to love obsolete technology.....

digi2t

Getting geared up for a new project, I found these on Ebay...

Brackets, socket, and four sets of mounting screws/nuts, for $4, shipping included. Picked some up. Can't justify wasting my time at that price.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/201525599338?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
  • SUPPORTER
Dead End FX

suncrush

Quote from: digi2t on February 08, 2017, 03:36:57 PM
Yeah, you're right Larry. My mind was going in the direction of mounting the PCB in the bottom, and the tube on the side, sort of something like this;

Makes for a bigger enclosure, I know. I guess that's why most mount the tube(s) on the outside, so as not to sacrifice so much pedalboard real estate. Also automatically takes care of the cooling issue.

What are those posts called?  I can't find them to order them.

rutabaga bob

Standoffs, or threaded standoffs.

suncrush

Quote from: rutabaga bob on February 12, 2017, 02:59:46 PM
Standoffs, or threaded standoffs.

Gracias.  Not available at Tayda or Mammoth.   :(