Favorite one knob wonders?

Started by adam193, March 10, 2017, 08:25:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

adam193

Looking to see what is out there in the pedal building world with one knob...

I'm thinking about building a multi effects box with all one knob effects in it.

Wondering what you all like that's a one knob wonder...

antonis

Why just no knob at all...??

In most cases, the knob is for volume/level adjust so guitar volume knob for the multi effect box should be OK...  :icon_wink:
"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

Elijah-Baley

Nice idea. :D
Wha about a bazz fuss or something like that?
A booster MXR micro amp style with a no-cut volume pot. A reverb one pot, like D-Verb. Phase 45 or 90. Maybe you can find a pt2399 chorus with one pot. The green ringer has no pots at all. The orange squeezer has just a volume pot.
Perhaps you can find some circuit with 2 or 3 pots, but can use an internal trimpots with fixed settings.
«There is something even higher than the justice which you have been filled with. There is a human impulse known as mercy, a human act known as forgiveness.»
Elijah Baley in Isaac Asimov's The Cave Of Steel

EBK

• SUPPORTER
Technical difficulties.  Please stand by.

EBK

Quote from: Elijah-Baley on March 10, 2017, 08:42:12 AMThe green ringer has no pots at all.
The orange squeezer has just a volume pot.
Technically, Orange Squeezer is a zero-pot circuit as well.  The volume knob was grafted on later by others making clones.  Could probably consider any Dan Armstrong circuit for this project.
Red Ranger
Orange Squeezer
Yellow Humper
Green Ringer
Blue Clipper
Purple Peaker
Black Reaper
(I've only personally tried an Orange Squeezer though...)
QuotePerhaps you can find some circuit with 2 or 3 pots, but can use an internal trimpots with fixed settings.
I definitely agree with this.  Endless possibilities.
  • SUPPORTER
Technical difficulties.  Please stand by.

Marcos - Munky

I suggest you a Bazz Fuss and/or a Buzz Box. An Electra-like overdrive with full gain (so it will only have the volume pot) sounds nice too. And you can get any 2 pot modulation - like tremolo, chorus, flanger -, set a fixed depth and have the speed controlled by a pot.

lars-musik

The EQD Speaker Cranker is super.

(here in my GAINER re-incarnation)

and the Blue Clipper

I second the Orange Squeezer and add the Coloursound One Knob Fuzz ( I have built both but to my shame both with two knobs!)

bluebunny

Quote from: Elijah-Baley on March 10, 2017, 08:42:12 AM
Maybe you can find a pt2399 chorus with one pot.

Anchovie's one chip chorus.

Merlin's Equinox II reverb.  (And the Solstice too!)
  • SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...

duck_arse

granny at the G next satdy.

bluebunny

• SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...

Kipper4

Ma throats as dry as an overcooked kipper.

Smoke me a Kipper. I'll be back for breakfast.

Grey Paper.
http://www.aronnelson.com/DIYFiles/up/

deadlyshart

I'm a pretty big fan of the sound my Phase 45 pedal makes, has a single pot to control the speed. Kind of vibrato-y at high speed, kind of spacey and sweeping at low speed.

wavley

Quote from: deadlyshart on March 10, 2017, 12:18:21 PM
I'm a pretty big fan of the sound my Phase 45 pedal makes, has a single pot to control the speed. Kind of vibrato-y at high speed, kind of spacey and sweeping at low speed.

Yep, Phase 45.

No knob Green Ringer.

Does anyone actually use the fuzz knob on a Fuzz Face?  I ditched mine in favor of a pregain knob, but just a volume control is all you really need right?
New and exciting innovations in current technology!

Bone is in the fingers.

EccoHollow Art & Sound

eccohollow.bandcamp.com

davent

Quote from: EBK on March 10, 2017, 08:45:29 AM
Zvex SHO

I'll go with this one too and the AMZ Mosfet Booster, take your pick.

dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/photobucket-hotlink-fix/kegnjbncdcliihbemealioapbifiaedg

thomasha

Does this count?

my best etch so far

blackieNYC

DAM meathead.  Pretty much a Si fuzz face.
  • SUPPORTER
http://29hourmusicpeople.bandcamp.com/
Tapflo filter, Gator, Magnus Modulus +,Meathead, 4049er,Great Destroyer,Scrambler+, para EQ, Azabache, two-loop mix/blend, Slow Gear, Phase Royal, Escobedo PWM, Uglyface, Jawari,Corruptor,Tri-Vibe,Battery Warmers

Cozybuilder

Some people drink from the fountain of knowledge, others just gargle.

Elijah-Baley

Quote from: wavley on March 10, 2017, 01:59:10 PM
[...]
Does anyone actually use the fuzz knob on a Fuzz Face?  I ditched mine in favor of a pregain knob, but just a volume control is all you really need right?

My Si Fuzz Face never has the Fuzz under 8. The volume of the guitar, so a pre-gain control as well, works better in my opinion.
«There is something even higher than the justice which you have been filled with. There is a human impulse known as mercy, a human act known as forgiveness.»
Elijah Baley in Isaac Asimov's The Cave Of Steel

wavley

Quote from: Elijah-Baley on March 10, 2017, 04:16:57 PM
Quote from: wavley on March 10, 2017, 01:59:10 PM
[...]

My Si Fuzz Face never has the Fuzz under 8. The volume of the guitar, so a pre-gain control as well, works better in my opinion.

You really don't even need the pregain if the guitar is plugged straight into it.  I wanted mine in a place that put it after a buffer, so I did the pickup sim circuit and the pregain so I have the option of stepping on it and going straight to fuzz face with the guitar dialed back sound.
New and exciting innovations in current technology!

Bone is in the fingers.

EccoHollow Art & Sound

eccohollow.bandcamp.com