Pull down resistor on this layout

Started by Outlaws, March 21, 2017, 12:44:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Outlaws

I am building an Analogman Sunface, and I was thinking about adding a pull down resistor.  The board is cut and almost fully populated.
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-kPHpS1i9PYc/U0k1rEh5MzI/AAAAAAAAGrk/jvx6QTwKEsM/s1600/Analogman+Sunface+BC108.png
This one has the 50k clean trim in the layout. I was thinking I could use the "dead" leg of that trimmer to put the 2M pull down resistor to ground. That's totally cool right? I ask there since I have a extra column of holes.  If not I guess I could just run the resistor lead to one of the other two legs of the trimmer.  But I guess what I am asking, is that any of the three legs to the pulldown is kosher as far as I can logically see, correct? Or does it need to be before any resistance in the circuit, thus off the input leg of that trimmer?

GibsonGM

You can put it on the bottom side of the board....from input to the ground track right next to it.

The trimmer is wired as a variable resistor, so the dead leg is 'off limits'...that would turn it into a voltage divider.  The pulldown should be the first resistance, and shouldn't be part of the variable R coming after.
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

DrAlx

antonis

"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

antonis

Quote from: GibsonGM on March 21, 2017, 03:37:13 AM
You can put it on the bottom side of the board....from input to the ground track right next to it.
Or right on Input jack, between Tip & Sleeve lugs..

Or omitt it and wire 3PDT switch with IN grounded when effect By-passed..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

DrAlx

Quote from: antonis on March 21, 2017, 05:59:33 AM
Or right on Input jack, between Tip & Sleeve lugs..
I would have thought that too but the bottom of this ...

http://www.geofex.com/Article_Folders/box_pop.htm

says ...

"Be sure that you have the "pull-down" resistors connected from the input/output capacitors to ground **on the effect board**".

Maybe RG can clarify?

antonis

Maybe it should be incorporated in R.G.'s "quirks", like his preference to switch pedal supply via OUT jack ground..  :icon_biggrin:

Outlaws

Quote from: DrAlx on March 21, 2017, 04:26:01 AM
Why not omit the pulldown resistor by wiring your switch differently?
Nice explanation here...

https://www.mrblackpedals.com/blogs/straight-jive/6629778-what-really-causes-switch-pop
I do ground the input, but I guess I have just gotten into having a resistor too.

merlinb

duck_arse

if you put a pulldown on the jack, and then impose a switch between jack/pulldown and input capacitor, what happens to the cap when the switch is open?
Katy who? what footie?

antonis

No open or closed switch, Duckie..

Can't get what you say..  :icon_question:

duck_arse

a bypass switch. one that disconnects the input cap (to ground or not) from the input signal. the input signal w/ the pulldown connected.
Katy who? what footie?

antonis

Then you have a pull-down resistor ready for whatever comes next...  :icon_biggrin:  :icon_biggrin:  :icon_biggrin:

Well said, Duckie.. :icon_wink:

DrAlx

Quote from: duck_arse on March 21, 2017, 10:05:55 AM
if you put a pulldown on the jack, and then impose a switch between jack/pulldown and input capacitor, what happens to the cap when the switch is open?
Doh :icon_redface:

MrStab

just read that Mr. Black article. grounding the effect input removes the need for a pulldown? that makes total sense, never considered it before. i do both. maybe best to leave the pulldown in in case someone replaces the switch someday.
Recovered guitar player.
Electronics manufacturer.

antonis

Quote from: MrStab on March 21, 2017, 02:10:10 PM
i do both
So do I..

Actually, if a PCB hasn't space (or look ahead) for a pull-down resistor, I also omit it - using a IN/OUT grounding as standar switch wiring..

merlinb

Quote from: MrStab on March 21, 2017, 02:10:10 PM
grounding the effect input removes the need for a pulldown? that makes total sense
Only if it's make-before-break.

MrStab

ah! very good point. i've never looked up that variable on anything other than rotary switches. another reason it's probably best to keep the pulldown in.
Recovered guitar player.
Electronics manufacturer.