Buffered pedal with activation switch problems. Help Please!!

Started by alfonso_bundis, March 28, 2017, 11:54:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alfonso_bundis

Hi everyone,
A friend came to me with an Ibanez cm-5 classic metal pedal. Apparently the bypass switch is not responding properly. Since this is not a true bypass pedal I have no Idea where to start. Any suggestions? I was thinking of converting it to true bypass, should I remove all the buffer pieces to do this?
Thank you in advance for the help.

GibsonGM

1) make sure the little switch inside is not worn out!  That's the most common issue, and is very easy to fix if you have soldering skills.  The companies usually sell replacements, or you can find them on Ebay.  Just measure it and look it up.     

You could take a look at some stuff like this: https://solgrind.wordpress.com/2009/04/15/true-bypass-for-boss/ if you want to take it further than just fixing the switch.   

IMO, If the pedal has an internal buffer I would not worry about converting to TB, myself.  That is what the buffer is for.  The cost/benefit isn't there.   YMMV
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

Kipper4

Is it stuck on? of stuck off?

Some of the other guys know all about the boss style bypassing. I'm not one of them.

If it's stuck on. You have the option to build a true bypass looper.
Google is your friend, Beavis Audio has a diagram for a true bypass looper.

edit
Tadaaaaa

True bypass looper
http://www.diystompboxes.com/tbbox/tbbox.jpg
Ma throats as dry as an overcooked kipper.

Smoke me a Kipper. I'll be back for breakfast.

Grey Paper.
http://www.aronnelson.com/DIYFiles/up/

bluebunny

You can test whether or not it's the switch that's broken by shorting across its connections with a handy electrical-continuity-activation-implement (screwdriver).  If the pedal turns on/off with each short, then it's the switch.  If not, then it's the flip-flop circuitry.  You can read about this at Geofex.
  • SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...

antonis

Quote from: bluebunny on March 29, 2017, 03:02:11 AM
You can test whether or not it's the switch that's broken by shorting across its connections with a handy electrical-continuity-activation-implement (screwdriver).
Or with any tool you can find in your grandma's silver tea set...  :icon_wink:
"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

bluebunny

• SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...

antonis

Classic/boutique pedals must be treated in some kind of retro way..  :icon_wink:
"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

alfonso_bundis

Thank you all for your replies!!! I will check the state of the switch and decide how to proceed accordingly. Kipper4, the true bypass looper is a great idea!!! Thanks for the schematics.