Vertex Steel String, Dumble circuits.

Started by Outlaws, April 02, 2017, 11:51:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Outlaws

https://reverb.com/item/4340849-new-vertex-effects-steel-string-clean-drive?gclid=CJDWxd6vh9MCFUpNfgodSekLKQ&pla=1

Anyone know the circuit of this pedal?  Are any of the Dumble-esqe pedals like this?  I had a chance to play one into a Fender Tweed Deluxe and it was really good. I opened it up and it's mostly surface mount components.  I didn't want to ask the owner to let me rip it apart any further but I couldnt get the circuit traces just opening it up.

Great pedal though. Just added an amazing mid range shimmer that clipped the amp beautifully.

robthequiet

I would start with a tube screamer, mod it for higher gain and a slightly lower midrange tone control. Then make another one and stack them. There are some very expensive Dumble-sounding pedals out there, but a lot of the tone comes from the amp and your fingers. Still, stacking tube screamers together would be my approach.  :icon_wink:

Outlaws

This specific pedal isn't about high gain.  It was like an EQ'd boost to the mids that made the amp clip in all the right spots.

Outlaws

chuckd666

Ahh Vertex.. the most hilarious brand story.

Outlaws

Quote from: chuckd666 on April 03, 2017, 06:51:46 AM
Ahh Vertex.. the most hilarious brand story.
I heard a few things...

That's said, it's a great pedal and I figure that story is even more reason why the circuit might already be online.

robthequiet

QuoteThis specific pedal isn't about high gain.  It was like an EQ'd boost to the mids that made the amp clip in all the right spots.

True, I should have said clean boost and not gain, but you're right about the midrange boost. What would be hard to achieve in a pedal would be the feel of the amp, as in its sensitivity to touch and gradual breakup. If you're looking for a schematic, http://www.runoffgroove.com has an Umble that might give you some ideas.

VertexEffects

Quote from: Outlaws on April 02, 2017, 11:51:16 PM
https://reverb.com/item/4340849-new-vertex-effects-steel-string-clean-drive?gclid=CJDWxd6vh9MCFUpNfgodSekLKQ&pla=1

Anyone know the circuit of this pedal?  Are any of the Dumble-esqe pedals like this?  I had a chance to play one into a Fender Tweed Deluxe and it was really good. I opened it up and it's mostly surface mount components.  I didn't want to ask the owner to let me rip it apart any further but I couldnt get the circuit traces just opening it up.

Great pedal though. Just added an amazing mid range shimmer that clipped the amp beautifully.

The circuit doesn't share any commonality with any pre-existing Dumble-inspiried pedal.  To my knowledge only us (Vertex) with the Steel String Clean Drive and Rockett (with the "Lenny") have attempted to go after the Dumble Clean Tone (i.e. Steel String Singer).  And, to my knowledge, only us (Vertex) and Mad Professor have actually had a real Dumble to voice our respective pedals to the real deal (Mad Professor having a 90's Dumble ODS, and us with a late 70's Steel String Singer).

Our circuit is based on trying to reproduce the sound of the Steel String Singer through a clean amp platform, rather than using a pre-existing archetype and modding from there.  We were using the Fender Hot Rod Series amps as our testing platform against the actual Dumble Steel String Singer.

Almost all the components are SMT where they don't impact tone and the overall fidelity to the actual Steel String Singer amp.

I'm glad you enjoyed the pedal!

Mason @ Vertex
Mason J. Marangella
Vertex Effects, Inc.
mason@vertexeffects.com
www.vertexeffects.com

garcho

QuoteAlmost all the components are SMT where they don't impact tone

through-hole definitely has better tone  :icon_rolleyes:

Quoterather than using a pre-existing archetype and modding from there.

oh yeah? who would ever think to "mod" a pre-existing pedal?
  • SUPPORTER
"...and weird on top!"