Can I feed TL074 or TL072 with ±18V supply?

Started by Agung Kurniawan, May 01, 2017, 09:35:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phoenix

Absolute Maximum Ratings
VCC+ VCC-     MIN -0.3V MAX +36V

The VCC+ VCC- implies the potential between those two terminals.
Absolute maximum ratings implies maximum before damage may occur.
So, from that we can understand that a negative voltage of more than 300mV between VCC+ and VCC- will result in damage, as will a positive voltage of more than 36V.
It makes no comment about it being a bipolar or single-ended supply. For the minimum it could be a single-ended supply of -300mV and 0V, or 0V and 300mV, or a bipolar supply of -/+150mV. For the maximum it could be 36V and 0V, or 0V and -36V, or bipolar of +1 and -35V, or +/-18V.
The important context is that it's referring to the potential between those two terminals.

antonis

Edit: Greg's typewriter is by far faster than mine..
"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

ElectricDruid

I'd read that as:

"If the voltage between the two power pins goes more than 0.3V negative or 36V positive, the chip will blow up."

Obviously there's a lot of ways to achieve that. In theory you could run the thing safely on 300V to the negative supply and 320V to the positive supply. But pushing that up to 337V would be out of spec!

antonis

Of course, in case of unconveniently higher PS voltage, in the cost of a single resistor (and a Zener, for perfectionists..) we can set max working voltage according to manufacturer specifications..
(PS voltage - opamp max voltage rating / typical current per amp with no load)
We might not be able to obtain full swing, due to higher supply voltage drop at full load, but we'll definately earn peace of mind.. :icon_wink:
"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

poiureza

Thank you
So the minimum potential between the 2 terminals (VCC+  -  VCC-) must larger than -0.3V

So am I right saying that VCC+ +5V and VCC- +5.1V would not blow the chip ?

Phoenix

Correct.
Of course it won't actually work with those voltages, but I'm sure you already know that.

Further on in the datasheet under Recommended Operating Conditions, it lists min VCC+ as +5V and VCC- as -5V, with note 1 clarifying that the potential between those terminals be greater than 10V, and that bipolar rails do not need to be of equal magnitude.
Of course, we know that the TL07x family will function below 10V supply voltage, we run them on 9V batteries all the time, which have useful charge all the way down to 4.8V, and a TL07x will just keep on trucking. However the datasheet is indicating that below 10V supply it may not meet all published specifications.