Wiring help? Will this work or is there a better way?

Started by brokenstarguitar, June 11, 2017, 11:27:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

brokenstarguitar

Ok heres a project im doing that I need a little advice with. Its 3 circuits in one enclosure. All 3 have there own 3pdt to activate the circuit, but circuit 1 (Stutter) also has a momentary. What Im trying to achieve with the momentary is to activate the Stutter when the switch is held in but ALSO control a led. Does this mock up look correct? Anyone have another idea or done something similar?

BTW: the led for circuit 1 (Stutter) is a 3 pin common cathod so the same led can be used for the momentary and latching switch.

Plexi

Just to clarify:
- C1 3PDT On: led and momentary+led function.
- C1 3PDT Off: no led, and no momentary function.
C1 3PDT only can activate momentary switch... am I right? In that case, why not to use just a momentary 3PDT?

Because what I see is that you're going from C1 out, direct to master output. You're "jumpling" over C2 and 3.
That can be a bit messy if C2 and 3 are on, and you push the momentary.
To you, buffered bypass sucks tone.
To me, it sucks my balls.

GGBB

If what you want is to be able to switch on C1 either with the latching switch or with the momentary switch, then no - your diagram won't work because the C1 input is always grounded unless the latching switch is on. You can't do it with a momentary DPDT - you'll need a momentary 3PDT. So both the latching and the momentary switches need to be 3PDT.

• SUPPORTER

potul

Your schematic won't work... as GGBB said, you will have no outpu from C1, ... so when you push the momentary, you will not get anything.

brokenstarguitar

What im basically trying to do is have the latching 3pdts for each effect as normal, but also have a momentary with led for C1 that will work even if ALL 3 circuits are bypassed. Get what I'm saying?

Now I know I can achieve this with a momentary 3pdt in between C1 and C2 wired like the rest of the 3pdts but unfortunately I don't have one. I only have a momentary dpdt. So whats my options with the dpdt?

brokenstarguitar

Quote from: Plexi on June 11, 2017, 01:43:54 PM
Because what I see is that you're going from C1 out, direct to master output. You're "jumpling" over C2 and 3.
That can be a bit messy if C2 and 3 are on, and you push the momentary.

If I run a wire from the circuit output of switch 1 (lug 7) to lug 2 of the momentary, then a wire from lug 1 of the momentary to circuit input (lug 2) of switch 2, would that fix the ground issue?

GGBB

No that doesn't change anything related to the C1 input grounding (unless I misunderstand your description). As long as the C1 bypass switched is bypassed, the C1 input is grounded. You can't do it with a momentary DPDT and have the LED - it needs to be 3PDT - it requires breaking two connections (circuit input to ground; input jack to output jack) and making two connections (input jack to circuit input; circuit output to output jack) not counting the LED - which would use up the entire DPDT. See my diagram above - that's how it's done.
  • SUPPORTER