Talkbox Filtering Capacitor

Started by victorbignacio, June 12, 2017, 12:55:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

victorbignacio

Hey guys, So i'm finishing my talkbox build and I stumbled upon a question: Whats the correct value of capacitor to filter the low frequencies on the horn driver?
My friend told me to use a 22uf Electrolytic cap to rolloff arround the 900Hz, wich I have here, but how do I wire it?
And is it really necessary? I dont see guides mentioning this caps a lot.
Thanks!

Fender3D

It should be electrolytic Bipolar, or, better, film.
You may use 2 x 44uF (47) in series connecting - tips together and + tips as "in" and "out".
"NOT FLAMMABLE" is not a challenge

victorbignacio

Ok, and I connect them on the Tip side of the driver (+) or the Sleeve side (-)?

thermionix

The driver doesn't care, will work either way.

victorbignacio

Hmm So I can't use a polarized Electrolytic capacitor for this?
Because I have one rated 22uf here, according to calculators, this value with the 8 Ohm speaker would serve me well.

Fender3D

Quote from: victorbignacio on June 13, 2017, 09:39:51 PM
Hmm So I can't use a polarized Electrolytic capacitor for this?

It depends on the speaker used...
If you're using a compression driver, then its mechanics will cut low freqs by itself... In this case, the capacitor acts as a "protection" filter so that high power and low frequencies won't break your tweeter: you might as well use a fuse.
If you're using a common speaker, you might cut lows before entering thee power stage also...
Anyway, I wouldn't concern about a precise frequency cut, you're messing with a tube and your oral cavity after all...
"NOT FLAMMABLE" is not a challenge