Chorus for accoustic

Started by Mgt280y, June 13, 2017, 07:17:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mgt280y

Been asked by a friend to build him a chorus for his accoustic gave him my little angle to try but didnt really have enough effect has anyone built anything used with accoustic with good results.

chuckd666

The frequency range for acoustic live is usually pretty restricted, so I'm sure any normal electric guitar chorus effect would work well.

Digital Larry

I presume you are talking about an acoustic-electric with a built in pickup.  Remember that chorus generally blends dry and delayed sounds in equal measure for the final result.  With an acoustic guitar you have another path for "dry" sound which is through the air directly from the soundhole to your ear.  Depending on how loud the amp is, you may not be getting a good blend between dry and delayed sounds.  One thing you could try would be to record the signal.  That will give you the "sound" of the chorus and would be closer to what a person in the audience might hear if you were going through the PA (as their ears are not 18" from the soundhole).
Digital Larry
Want to quickly design your own effects patches for the Spin FV-1 DSP chip?
https://github.com/HolyCityAudio/SpinCAD-Designer

Mark Hammer

I would recommend rolling off the bass and lower mids from the wet path, so that you get the "swirl", but much less of the irritating pitch wobble.

How to do this?  You will generally see a capacitor in the wet path, just ahead of the point where wet and dry are mixed together.  Drop the value of that cap by 4/5 or so.  So if it is shown as .01uf in the schematic, use .0022uf instead.

Mgt280y

Thanks for the tips forgot about the fact that most of the dry comes from the body of the instrument  :icon_redface:
I'll take a look at some schematics and try a few mods