News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

Klon Centaur issue

Started by frusciante89, May 08, 2018, 04:13:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

frusciante89

Hi guys, I've just finished a Klon but I have issues with the output: although all controls seem to work, the output I get is around 30% of the dry signal (that is, when the pedal is off)... I double-check all connections and wiring but couldn't find anything wrong. Hope you can help me out :)

The voltage readings seem to be ok:

IC1
1: 4.37
2: 4.37
3: 3.46
4: 0
5: 4.35
6: 4.37
7: 4.29
8: 8.72

IC2
1: 4.37
2: 4.37
3: 4.36
4: -8.31
5: 4.35
6: 4.35
7: 4.32
8: 15.75

IC3
1: 8.7
2: 4.35
3: 0
4: -4.14
5: -8.3
6: 4.27
7: 6.61
8: 8.69

For now I've just wired the battery clip, not the DC plug (that's why it's not wired in the pics). Also left out the LED for now.
Also, these are some pictures:

antonis

Presuming IC3 is MAX1044, voltages on IC1 & IC2 look normal (although IC1 pin 3 is loaded by your multimeter..)

Perhaps, a resistor on DPDT switch is miswired..
"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

Boner

Quote from: antonis on May 09, 2018, 07:37:19 AM
(although IC1 pin 3 is loaded by your multimeter..)

Is that the noninverting input on the TL0072 in the first stage? Should that be 4.5?

antonis

Quote from: Boner on May 10, 2018, 03:34:12 PM
Is that the noninverting input on the TL0072 in the first stage? Should that be 4.5?
Sure but only for sharp +9V, absolutely equal divider resistor values, absolutely zero input current and multimeter of infinite ohms impedance..  :icon_wink:
"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

vigilante397

Maybe I'm used to my nice voltmeter with a high internal impedance, but I've never seen a whole volt lost from meter loading, especially when the other pins are reading higher, including another of the same opamp. Some of the other pins are reading 4.36, is it possible 3.46 is a typo and was also supposed to be 4.36?

Another question for OP, do you have/know how to use an audio probe? When voltages all look good but it's still not working you can get a lot of information from actually listening to what's happening in the circuit and find out where you're dropping the signal.
  • SUPPORTER
"Some people love music the way other people love chocolate. Some of us love music the way other people love oxygen."

www.sushiboxfx.com

Kipper4

Klons don't get no love here.
You won't find many threads about them. Something to do with an agreement between Aron and the FSB.

Having said that. Seems weird to have a charge pump and neither op amps is using it.
Check the schematic. I think you'll find ic2 volts are all wrong.
How do you get 15v on pin8?

Google up Klon voltages.

I'm out.
Ma throats as dry as an overcooked kipper.

Smoke me a Kipper. I'll be back for breakfast.

Grey Paper.
http://www.aronnelson.com/DIYFiles/up/

Kipper4

Ma throats as dry as an overcooked kipper.

Smoke me a Kipper. I'll be back for breakfast.

Grey Paper.
http://www.aronnelson.com/DIYFiles/up/

italianguy63

Delete-- posted in wrong place.
I used to really be with it!  That is, until they changed what "it" is.  Now, I can't find it.  And, I'm scared!  --  Homer Simpson's dad

pinkjimiphoton

check the orientation of your diodes and electros. i had a similar problem to italian guy's years ago, some of them voltages are wack...
  • SUPPORTER
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace."
Slava Ukraini!
"try whacking the bejesus outta it and see if it works again"....
~Jack Darr