Are you ready for the rollover?

Started by Mark Hammer, July 16, 2018, 09:58:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark Hammer

Here it is, number 25,000.

I've been saving it for my birthday, which is today.  :icon_biggrin:  In truth, it is really only #25000 since the most recent counter was established.  This forum has undergone numerous revisions, beginning with its migration from a sub-forum Aron was moderating at the former AMPAGE (now Music Electronics Forum).  Aron can confirm this as true or not, but I think every time there was a new hosting or software upgrade, post-counters would get reset, since the old counts couldn't be migrated to the newer format.

A bit of an announcement, however.  When I was at Summer NAMM a few weeks ago, I was chatting with Stan Cotey from Fender about their new line of pedals, and how much I liked them.  A buddy of Stan's comes over to chat, and since it appears that have much catching up to do, I gesture to Stan that, being as it's only Day 1 of a 3-day show, I'd catch up with him later, and leave him to chat with his buddy.  I was barely out of the large Fender booth when the buddy comes chasing after me, shoves his business card in my hand and says to contact him; "We'll talk".

I did, we did, and - long story short - I am now the DIY columnist for the fledgling on-line magazine Gear Tech & Recording (http://www.geartechrec.com/)  Seems Stan gave me quite the recommendation, which came as a bit of a surprise.  So keep your posts civil and helpful, folks, because you never know who might be reading them!

I will still be here.  But you will understand if I save some stuff for columns, rather than spilling it all here.  Wouldn't want to steal my own thunder.  In addition to steering readers to this site, I also hope to direct more people to the various sites that have helped me and others here so much: geofex, AMZ, Basic Audio, Tonepad, Generalguitargadgets, madbeanpedals, and more.

It was a huge thrill for me to meet and chat with Craig Anderton at NAMM.  He taught me so much over the years (and live he is actually an excellent teacher, always picking the perfect analogy to make things clear).  But Craig has moved on from the analog world to the digital domain, plug-ins and such, leaving a gap that I think still has some mileage left in it.  It will be a great honour to carry on that legacy.  It won't make me rich, that's for sure (how much did you think free on-line magazines were going to pay?).  But what it will provide is a portal to the major manufacturers' product-development people so that ideas which might get their first traction here can make it to the ears of the big boys and girls.  I promise to give credit where due.

Years ago, I used to be an avid reader of the quarterly "review of acoustical patents" that would show up in the Journal of the Acoustical Engineering Society.  You'd see summary descriptions of ideas and innovations that would show up on store shelves 5 years later.  We can do the same thing here; hopefully with less than a 5-year lag.

Now, if I can come back from Montreal with a photo of Dino giving us all a thumbs-up sign through the tubing, that will be the icing on the cake.

Kipper4

Congratulations Mark.
Many happy returns.
Ma throats as dry as an overcooked kipper.

Smoke me a Kipper. I'll be back for breakfast.

Grey Paper.
http://www.aronnelson.com/DIYFiles/up/

duck_arse

250,000? that's a good deal eh.

also, cake?
"Bring on the nonsense".

bluebunny

• SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...

slashandburn

Happy Birthday Mark and thanks for all the knowledge and insight contained in those 25,000 posts.

marcelomd

bloxstompboxes

Happy Birthday Mark! Congrats on the column bud!

Floor-mat at the front entrance to my former place of employment. Oh... the irony.

StephenGiles

Happy birthday Mark, good luck with the column!
"I want my meat burned, like St Joan. Bring me pickles and vicious mustards to pierce the tongue like Cardigan's Lancers.".

vigilante397

Congrats Mark! Always nice to see cool things happen to good people. I'll be reading it for sure! ;D
  • SUPPORTER
"Some people love music the way other people love chocolate. Some of us love music the way other people love oxygen."

www.sushiboxfx.com

Ice-9

Happy Birthday Mark, and congrats on the Column.  :icon_cool:
www.stanleyfx.co.uk

Sanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting the same result. Mick Taylor

Please at least have 1 forum post before sending me a PM demanding something.

Marcos - Munky

Happy birthday, Mark! Also, congrats on the column, you deserve it and they've sure got a great guy to do it.

Quote from: Mark Hammer on July 16, 2018, 09:58:34 AMSo keep your posts civil and helpful, folks, because you never know who might be reading them!
Can we be civil? Not sure. But we can be helpful, just check that burst box topic.

Quote from: Mark Hammer on July 16, 2018, 09:58:34 AMNow, if I can come back from Montreal with a photo of Dino giving us all a thumbs-up sign through the tubing, that will be the icing on the cake.
That would be great!

stallik

25,000 (plus) posts.  :icon_eek: That's an awfull lot of help you've dished out Mark. Thankyou
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. Albert Einstein

PRR

> really only #25000 since the most recent counter

Dawn-Of-Time for your 15K count was about August 23, 2003. 15 years ago.

Almost 4.5 per day.
  • SUPPORTER

BetterOffShred

Happy birthday Mark, we are all excited for your new gig!

Ben N

Mazel tov, Mark! I look forward to reading your columns.
  • SUPPORTER

Tony Forestiere

Well, THAT was a short-lived retirement!  ;)
Congrats on the new gig and the 25K mark, Mark! (Yes. I did that!)
Happy Birthday and say "Hey" to Dino and Debbie for us.
"Duct tape is like the Force. It has a light side and a dark side, and it holds the universe together." Carl Zwanzig
"Whoso neglects learning in his youth, loses the past and is dead for the future." Euripides
"Friends don't let friends use Windows." Me

ElectricDruid

Quote from: Mark Hammer on July 16, 2018, 09:58:34 AM
So keep your posts civil and helpful, folks, because you never know who might be reading them!

If I did that, I'd be a "civil engineer" and then I'd have to build bridges and stuff and not pedals!

I think a lot of people here would have recommended you for such a column, Mark. We all know a load more because you shared what you know.

T.

deadastronaut

having a beer and a whiskey for ya... 8)
https://www.youtube.com/user/100roberthenry
https://deadastronaut.wixsite.com/effects

chasm reverb/tremshifter/faze filter/abductor II delay/timestream reverb/dreamtime delay/skinwalker hi gain dist/black triangle OD/ nano drums/space patrol fuzz//

amptramp

Congratulations on the column!  This is the kind of gig a lot of us dream about.  And congratulations on cake day.  Gorge yourself!

Electron Tornado

Congratulations, Mark!

I look forward to reading your columns! I'm sure people here will be giving you an endless supply of topic suggestions.
  • SUPPORTER
"Corn meal, gun powder, ham hocks, and guitar strings"

Who is John Galt?