Mixing positive and negative ground on power jack

Started by Renegadrian, September 03, 2018, 11:13:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Renegadrian

Maybe I am going to write something stupid but hey sometimes you don't focus on these details...

Here's the situation: positive groud rangemaster ckt. -9v from the battery is now soldered to the input jack to disconnect power as the input jack is disconnected.
Now, I'd like to add a power jack, using a 7660 voltage inverter to daisy chain it with other pedals. The positive of the inverter input and its ground would be tied to your regular positive and grd pin on the power jack, how can I connect the battery to that power jack?! is it possible to have +9v on the adaptor input and -9v on the middle pin?! Images for reference

Done an' workin'=Too many to mention - Tube addict!

Aph

You'd connect it the same as a regular pedal. The battery would feed the voltage inverter.

Renegadrian

davent

Quote from: Renegadrian on September 03, 2018, 11:41:37 AM
what do you mean by feed!?

Just another way to say 'provide power' to the voltage inverter.

dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/photobucket-hotlink-fix/kegnjbncdcliihbemealioapbifiaedg

Renegadrian

Ok yes I got the meaning but that don't sound right to me.
My need is to wire that 3 pin standard power jack to a 9v power inverter as in the image and a battery cable to a positive ground rangemaster. For what I understand you say the inverter gets its power by the battery, which isn't the case. as other pedals, ckt must get voltage via the internal battery (wired backwards) or the VI

Aph

Since you're putting an inverter in the circuit, it's going to be very difficult to find a way to automatically switch/reverse the polarity for a battery.

R.G.

You can use some discrete bipolar transistors and/or MOSFETs to switch battery on/off. It's not too hard. You use the DC power jack as a signal to the circuits that turn the battery on/off, not as a switch in and of itself.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

Sooner Boomer

What about running either the battery or the leads from the power jack through a diode bridge?  The AC inputs go to the power source, the DC leads go to the inverter.  There would be a small voltage drop, but should still provide usable voltage.
Dan of  ̶9̶  only 5 Toes
I'm not getting older, I'm getting "vintage"