Orange Squeezer with Blend pot

Started by Fede9526, January 29, 2019, 02:16:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fede9526

Hello everyone, I was going to build the JHS Pulp N Peel V3, but not having found a layout, I was going to change the Orange Squeezer, since the Pulp N Peel is his clone, so I would like to add a blend potentiometer to the layout Orange Squeezer, but I did not understand how to connect it all, can any of you kindly help me?
Thank you.

My DIY Factory: Colorsound Powerboost-Analogman Sunface BC108-Diamond Compressor-Triangle Muff-Civil War Muff-Green Russian Muff-RAT-Easy Vibe

POTL

Hi, the easiest way to add a crossfader.
Scheme attached.
However, more interesting is how Josh made the compression adjustment.

Fede9526

Thanks for answering me, but not being an expert in electronics, I do not know how to change the layout I posted, for what I asked how to connect the two layouts.
My DIY Factory: Colorsound Powerboost-Analogman Sunface BC108-Diamond Compressor-Triangle Muff-Civil War Muff-Green Russian Muff-RAT-Easy Vibe

rankot

Quote from: POTL on January 30, 2019, 11:41:05 AM

How? I don't see a compress pot?
  • SUPPORTER
60 pedals and counting!

POTL

Quote from: rankot on January 30, 2019, 01:39:11 PM
Quote from: POTL on January 30, 2019, 11:41:05 AM

How? I don't see a compress pot?

because it is not a JHS scheme, it is a scheme from byoc =)

Fede9526

These are the links between the two layouts I posted that I had in mind:

Send (Blend) -> Input (Orange Squeezer)
Blend 3 - return (Blend) -> Volume 2 -output (Orange Squeezer)
9V (Blend) -> 9V (Orange Squeezer)
Ground (Blend -> Ground (Orange Squeezer)
Input (Blend) -> 3PDT input
Blend 2 (Blend) -> Output 3PDT

According to you is right?

rankot

Quote from: POTL on January 30, 2019, 03:44:23 PM

I can see it's fixed compression mode.
  • SUPPORTER
60 pedals and counting!

POTL

Quote from: rankot on January 30, 2019, 05:07:52 PM
Quote from: POTL on January 30, 2019, 03:44:23 PM

I can see it's fixed compression mode.

Yes, but how to add compression adjustment here ??

rankot

Put a C200k pot instead of R3 (82k), and connect that wire going down to C4 and Q2 to wiper.
  • SUPPORTER
60 pedals and counting!

antonis

Quote from: rankot on January 31, 2019, 03:44:05 PM
Put a C200k pot instead of R3 (82k), and connect that wire going down to C4 and Q2 to wiper.
Shouldn't Q2 need re-bias..??
(on extreme pot settings, at least..)
"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

EBK

Can I ask why it is desirable to add a blend pot to a compressor?
  • SUPPORTER
Technical difficulties.  Please stand by.

antonis

Quote from: EBK on February 01, 2019, 05:46:48 AM
Can I ask why it is desirable to add a blend pot to a compressor?
Of course, you can...!!
"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

rankot

Quote from: antonis on February 01, 2019, 05:10:23 AM

I don't know, here is the complete guide: https://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=105342.0
  • SUPPORTER
60 pedals and counting!

GGBB

Quote from: rankot on February 01, 2019, 07:18:09 AM
Quote from: antonis on February 01, 2019, 05:10:23 AM

I don't know, here is the complete guide: https://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=105342.0

There's also a capacitor inserted between the wiper and Q2 drain - see schematic below. Re-bias is not required (even without the added capacitor).

That "compression" control does not work very well. I spent a couple of years with this pedal on my board, and no longer believe the design does much if anything to affect the amount of compression (I think I can hear something - but I can't quite place it). But other things about the pedal are nice - threshold in particular. I have been meaning to revisit it, but I lack the interest now. I suspect that tying pin1 and wiper together would make the control work - such a simple mod you'd think I'd find time to do it. And it is really a ratio control in my mind not compression (is there a difference?).

Most orange squeezer "compression" controls involve adjusting the bias - but I don't know about the JHS. That's tricky to get right, because the range of the bias control that produces a usable signal and changes compression is very small (<1k - look for some old OS related posts by midwayfair/Jon Patton here or at madbean), and because JFETs are so inconsistent. If you look at the stock OS circuit design, the signal input to the opamp comes through a voltage divider formed from the 82k input cap and Q2. The envelope detector manipulates the resistance across Q2, thereby affecting the divider which changes the volume. Changing the bias affects how Q2 responds to the envelope, so that should affect compression. I think that just moves the envelope signal voltage closer to or farther from the JFET's cut-off (Vg-s(off)) point, so I'm not sure how good that can really be (never played with that).

So in theory, it should be possible to change the other side of the divider (the 82k) and have control over compression as well. And that should be a lot more predictable and controllable than a JFET's cutoff. That's the idea behind the Orange Smoothie's compression control (which isn't my idea originally - I think it came from a very old thread here about Mark Hammer's tangerine peeler).

• SUPPORTER

garcho

QuoteCan I ask why it is desirable to add a blend pot to a compressor?

you haven't ever tried, have you?  :icon_lol:

I love it, wouldn't have a compressor without. Try setting a compressor up to sound squishy. Not f'd up and crazy but "more" than you would normally do. Then dial it back to being mixed in at say, 33%. I find that to be a great way to get unaffected sounding sustain on the guitar. Engineers mix in comp'd tracks with dry, some rack units and pedals have that option, too.
  • SUPPORTER
"...and weird on top!"