Trigger for analog envelope filters

Started by Esppse, January 31, 2019, 09:40:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Esppse

Hello,

I own a WMD super fat man pedal. I was wondering how to have a clean signal trigger the filter, because I want to use distortions and fuzzed before it, but need that clean response. The trigger in the EHX micro synth is perfect. Are there ways to implement that circuitry to my filter pedal?

Thanks

Mark Hammer

Looking through the various functions, technically you could use an external envelope generator to feed the CV jack.  If the pot is rotated to be fully CV-controlled, the sweep could be directed by an envelope detected prior to a distortion.

Ideally, what you really want is an external loop like the Q-Tron+ has.  That pedal recognizes that the envelope is detected by the input, but inserts a loop after the envelope is detected, but before the filter.

Technically, that should be possible to accomplish with the SFM, but you'd need a schematic to know where to insert the loop.

Esppse

Hmm I was hoping that an envelope detector simply taps the clean input before my distortions, without any further modification.

Ay, I actually want to build a Micro synth type pedal. Though I don't require the octave and square section, nor the swell, since I'd be using a blue box for octave down, and a fuzz for the square sound. So basically a very resonant filter, with rate, start freq, end freq, and trigger sensitivity. I'm now assuming that the fuzzes would be inserted into a loop right?

Would there happen to be an available Vero layout for a synth filter like this?

Thanks

Mark Hammer

There is no shortage of envelope-follower circuit designs that could tap the input buffer off a fuzz, to provide the requisite CV, while permitting an untanpered-with fuzz to be fed to the SFM, with all of whatever dynamics it has, left intact.  Would the external envelope CV have ALL the same properties as whatever the SFM provides itself?  I don't know.  But there are certainly ways of shaping whatever envelope is extracted externally.

Esppse

Ok thanks I may spend time experimenting with these detector circuits. I've also never used CV before. It could open a new door in my tinkering heh