suggestions for removing this pot?

Started by afrogoose, March 08, 2019, 05:09:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

afrogoose

Hey Everyone!

The tap tempo switch on my T Rex Replica died and I'm trying to replace the momentary switch.  Unfortunately, I can't figure out how to remove the switch!  It has this funky round bezel on it and I can't seem to grip it with my fingers to spin it off.  I also can't get a grip on it with pliers.  Help! How do I get this thing off?

Thanks!

davent

Grippy, thin, open weave drawer/shelf liner might allow you to get a grip on it. I've a non-slip router pad  that i've cut  small pieces from to use as grip enhancers for opening jars and other twist tops, thicker and tougher then the drawer liner.

Stuff like this probably available at the dollar store.

https://www.amazon.ca/VViViD-Non-Slip-Rubberized-Drawer-Sheets/dp/B074554MS2/ref=sr_1_6?hvadid=208315514319&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=9000874&hvnetw=g&hvpos=1t2&hvqmt=e&hvrand=17589752148980682757&hvtargid=kwd-331770292954&keywords=drawer+liner+non+slip&qid=1552153677&s=gateway&sr=8-6&tag=googcana-20

dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/photobucket-hotlink-fix/kegnjbncdcliihbemealioapbifiaedg

italianguy63

Heat might help.. hit it with a blow-dryer...

MC
I used to really be with it!  That is, until they changed what "it" is.  Now, I can't find it.  And, I'm scared!  --  Homer Simpson's dad

afrogoose

Thanks Dave and MC!  These are 2 really good ideas.  I'll try them out and report back.

duck_arse

is there not a hex nut under the panel? loosen that first [don't ask me how] and then wrestle w/ the dress nuts.

I wish I had a set of dress nuts.
Katy who? what footie?

bloxstompboxes

Quote from: duck_arse on March 10, 2019, 09:18:47 AM
is there not a hex nut under the panel? loosen that first [don't ask me how] and then wrestle w/ the dress nuts.

They're good for black tie parties and such. Though, nobody can see them with your pants on.

Floor-mat at the front entrance to my former place of employment. Oh... the irony.

Sooner Boomer

Note location of wires on switch (write it down/ draw picture / take photo).  Unsolder wires from switch.  Gently unscrew (body) of switch from back.  This should loosen nut enough that you can unscrew it.
Dan of  ̶9̶  only 5 Toes
I'm not getting older, I'm getting "vintage"

bluebunny

Quote from: bloxstompboxes on March 10, 2019, 12:56:55 PM
Quote from: duck_arse on March 10, 2019, 09:18:47 AM

They're good for black tie parties and such. Though, nobody can see them with your pants on.

I love this place.   :)
  • SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...

afrogoose

Quote from: Sooner Boomer on March 10, 2019, 01:43:38 PM
Note location of wires on switch (write it down/ draw picture / take photo).  Unsolder wires from switch.  Gently unscrew (body) of switch from back.  This should loosen nut enough that you can unscrew it.

Ahhhh! Great idea!!!  Shame on me for not thinking of that.  Thank you Sooner Boomer!!

The pcb runs right up to the edge of the switch so there is no way to fit pliers in to loosen the nut on the inside of the enclosure.  Not sure if this is called the "dress nut" or not, but I would rather imagine the true definition of dress nuts to be what bloxstompboxes said!!