meat sphere trouble! green diffused LEDS not functioning

Started by mikeford, June 29, 2019, 09:02:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikeford

Hello! I am having some difficulty with the Meat Sphere,( taylors very sweeT pcb, i may ad)
Everything seems to work, but the two diffused green leds are doing nothing at all. (Nor the visible 'rate LED for that matter......) I tried the  VTL 5C3, but I thought they were faulty or just being difficult,as I read over on the other forum they were prone to be,hence opting for the 'Roll your own".
I did install and have  the TL 074 backwards the first time firing it up. I replaced it with a brand new one and also swapped out the LM1458, just to be extra sure. The Photocells  are small bear sku #9200s(CdS 5mm Light Resistance 10 Min,  50KMax,Min. Dark Resistance rated at 5megs.) and when I try different settings and sweep my hands oer them, they are  definitely doing what they are supposed to do. (I will put the leds/cds in a tube sheath/shrink-wrap after i get them greenies working) any input would be greatly appreciated!

duck_arse

where did you get the leds from? did you test them for polarity marking correctness before installing? have you measured the output voltages of whatever it is driving the leds to make sure it's/they're sweeping/oscillating/whatevering as you expect it to?
Katy who? what footie?

BetterOffShred

Duck has it right here, I always test the led "driving" portion of the circuit with an actual led to see polarity.  Also, there's a multipage troubleshooting thread dedicated to this build you could read through where someone may have had the same issue in your build.

The meat sphere doesn't have a rate knob.. It's an envelope filter so the LEDs also won't do anything unless you give it input signal.. just another thought :)

idy

Does the sweep switch light them up? When the knob is down(clockwise) the LEDs should be on with no signal, dimming with signal.

The 1458 is a dodgy animal in this thing. I found I had to use LM358. I have three of these pedals....

BetterOffShred

mikeford

Thanks for the insight,y'all!. Seems the two green leds( that will make up the vactrols once I seal them up in a straw/shrinkwrap combo)/visible chassis mounted indicator led are functioning now. I found the mistake last night. I had set it aside for a bit,as you know. Once corrected, the red/ dual green leds popped on! 'Twas quite late and was not able fo fiddle about with the settings,so today I will  see if it will start to qwack~