Best way to combine two resistors?

Started by bartimaeus, July 03, 2019, 12:27:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bartimaeus

As much as we'd all like to have every resistor value possible, it just won't happen. So at some point, you gotta fit two resistors into the space of one. I'm building a tonepad mxr ef right now, and it calls for a couple of 22M resistors. Rather than paying 15 cents each at mouser (plus shipping), I'd rather combine a couple of 10M resistors I have from tayda. I've done this before, but it has me wondering – are there any technique which make this a little easier? Looping the leads around each other? Heat shrink tubing? What are your favorite tricks?

vigilante397

My favorite trick is to get a couple SMD resistors and put them in there :P

But for through-hole I usually stick both resistors in vertically and solder them to the bad first, then bend them toward each other so they make a nice triangle with the board, then twist the leads together, solder, and clip off the extra. I've personally never bothered with heat shrink on series resistors, but depending on how tight other conductive things are around the area it might be a good idea.
  • SUPPORTER
"Some people love music the way other people love chocolate. Some of us love music the way other people love oxygen."

www.sushiboxfx.com

EBK

Same as Nathan, but I bend the top leads 90° and make a square instead of a triangle.

Might be fun to add a bit of heat shrink and some paint afterward to create a mojo-looking part. Haven't tried it though.   :icon_wink:
  • SUPPORTER
Technical difficulties.  Please stand by.

Danich_ivanov

I just build the ep3 preamp based thingy, and for the lack of 3.3k, soldered 1.8k and 1.5k vertically, which turned out to be about the same hight as an average capacitor.

bartimaeus

Thank you for the tips! I'm glad to know I'm not missing any big secrets haha.

making a mojo-looking part with paint and heat-shrink is a really funny idea, I'll give that a shot next time I build a pedal for a friend.

pinkjimiphoton

i do the triangle thing too, unless space is at a premium. then i lay one atop the other, solder them together, and then stuff it in the holes in the space for one resistor. keeps it easier for cramped builds. i rarely ever use anything bigger than a 1590b, so that can really help sometimes.
  • SUPPORTER
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace."
Slava Ukraini!
"try whacking the bejesus outta it and see if it works again"....
~Jack Darr

PRR

(yeah, I read the colors wrong.....)
  • SUPPORTER

Rixen

Quote from: PRR on July 07, 2019, 09:51:44 PM

(yeah, I read the colors wrong.....)
tried exactly that, now waiting for my burnt fingers to heal.