Green Russian Big Muff - Replacement jack sockets

Started by bettsaj, July 21, 2019, 04:37:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bettsaj

Hi all

An odd one here.... This is not so much a DIY issue, more an original pedal issue. A friend of mine has an original Green Russian Big Muff and both jack sockets have failed. he's not to bothered about keening anything original, he just wants it to work. he's asked me to replace both jack sockets with better quality panel type jacks. Easy, or so I thought.

The original jacks are the panel mounted plastic type, and both have now been removed from the board. i thought it would be a simple case of identifying ground and signal and soldering in some wires to the board to the respective pads, but when I did that I had an awful hum/ground issue. i think both the original jacks are stereo? but not all the contacts are connected to the circuit.

Have I got to replace both jacks with a like for like replacement or will I be able to replace them with standard pedal jacks?

Here's the back of the board, the input in the lower jack, and the output is at the top. There's also a picture of one of the old jacks.... they're both like this..

"My technique is laughable at times. I have developed a style of my own, I suppose, which creeps around. I'll never be a very fast guitar player."

drummer4gc

You can replace with panel type jacks. You'll need a stereo jack for the input to keep the battery switching operation working.

How did you wire up the jacks when you had the hum issue?

bettsaj

Well the output was simple... Just signal and ground. (Top of the picture), right hand pad is ground, middle pad is signal.

Bottom of picture, ignoring the bottom 3 pads as they're not used. The left hand pad is ground, the remaining 2 pads are tip and ring...... can't remember which way round they were now since I unsoldered the sockets
"My technique is laughable at times. I have developed a style of my own, I suppose, which creeps around. I'll never be a very fast guitar player."

bettsaj

I'll resolder a mono and stereo jack and film a short video.... I'll also show you how I have it wired up

Slowpoke101

• SUPPORTER

bettsaj

Quote from: Slowpoke101 on July 21, 2019, 07:13:59 AM
Hi Andy, This may help or it may not.

If that diagram is correct I know where I went wrong now... The top jack pads... i assumed as #1 (The one you have marked as sleeve) wasn't connected to anything it was redundant. So i just connected a mono jack there with the sleeve likely connected to the pad you have marked as ring

duck_arse

Quote from: bettsaj on July 21, 2019, 05:05:49 AM
Well the output was simple... Just signal and ground. (Top of the picture), right hand pad is ground, middle pad is signal.

this would be a pinch point. right hand pad is signal/tip/hot. middle is ground/ground/ground. use the new jack sleeve connection, doesn't need to be stereo there.
granny at the G next satdy.

drummer4gc

Quote from: bettsaj on July 21, 2019, 05:05:49 AM

Reverse that. For output (top of the pic), middle pad is ground and goes to sleeve of a mono jack (stereo works too but isn't necessary.) Right hand pad is signal, goes to tip.

For the input, the left hand pad is the (-) battery connection. It's connected to sleeve here but usually this connection goes the ring. Since you're presumably mounting a metal panel jack onto a grounded enclosure, it is probably safer to connect this pad to ring instead. Sleeve goes to the middle pad (ground), tip to the right hand pad in the picture.

bettsaj

I've just wired 2 stereo jack sockets as per the image above and it worked perfectly... Thanks guys