Tayda now carrying 3PDT stomps that light up

Started by Mark Hammer, August 11, 2019, 03:44:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark Hammer

In the new arrivals section.  It looks like the illuminated part is in what would normally be the white washer portion.  Apart from being catchy, it means there is no requirement to drill another hole for a status LED (though that wasn't really a hardship).

vigilante397

Reasonable price too. I've used these in builds before and I do enjoy the look, but it was hard for me to justify paying $6 for a 3PDT so I only ever bought a couple. Looks like i may start using them again.
  • SUPPORTER
"Some people love music the way other people love chocolate. Some of us love music the way other people love oxygen."

www.sushiboxfx.com

Mark Hammer

I figured interested parties would check the "new arrivals".  But thanks for the assist.  :icon_biggrin:
Steve, I guess you have a new inventory item to stock.  :icon_wink:

mth5044

I wouldn't underestimate the draw of not having to deal with an LED anymore! More wires to strip, annoying bezel and the little plastic thing.

Drilling the hole

I'm not lazy...

amptramp

This should solve the problem of finding a place for the LED.  I don't mind having to drill a hole but I do mind the extra space you need on the enclosure.

Is the LED isolated or is it connected to one of the switch terminals?

MaxPower

The LED legs run down one side of the switch and are unconnected according to the wiring diagram.
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters, compared to what lies within us - Emerson

ElectricDruid

Didn't we have a thread a while back where a poor forumite discovered that the LED ring makes the 3PDT deeper and it wouldn't fit in their enclosure any more? Couldn't get the back on, I think.

Don't assume they're a drop-in replacement for normal 3PDTs is the moral of that story, I guess.

bamslam69

Ooh noice!
I don't care how they're wired. I'll chuck a couple on my next order.
Yeah Nah - Nah Yeah

Mark Hammer

Quote from: ElectricDruid on August 12, 2019, 07:07:44 PM
Didn't we have a thread a while back where a poor forumite discovered that the LED ring makes the 3PDT deeper and it wouldn't fit in their enclosure any more? Couldn't get the back on, I think.

Don't assume they're a drop-in replacement for normal 3PDTs is the moral of that story, I guess.
You have a better memory than I do in that regard, Tom.  But looking at it, you may be right, in that it's really more for 125B than for 1590B.

soggybag

I bought 10 of these on aliexpress for about $3 each. It took about a month to them to get here.

I haven't used one yet. If you want I'll take some pictures. They do sit lower into the box because the led ring sits on top of the switch body. The plastic diffuser ring on top has a shoulder. The nut Sandwiches the plastic diffuser ring and led ring between the switch body. You need pretty big drill. The hole for the switch needs to be about an 1/8" bigger all the way around.

I don't think these have resistor. They do look like you could plan a pcb where the switch and led leads would drop right in. Otherwise the leads for the led look a little awkward to solder with wires.

Here is a link to the switches on aliexpress:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32921668267.html?spm=a2g0o.detail.1000014.1.65b926b6NZkXBt&gps-id=pcDetailBottomMoreOtherSeller&scm=1007.13338.139659.0&scm_id=1007.13338.139659.0&scm-url=1007.13338.139659.0&pvid=8e7897bd-806a-4749-bc90-1e6fe2894852&_t=gps-id:pcDetailBottomMoreOtherSeller,scm-url:1007.13338.139659.0,pvid:8e7897bd-806a-4749-bc90-1e6fe2894852

Rob Strand

QuoteDidn't we have a thread a while back where a poor forumite discovered that the LED ring makes the 3PDT deeper and it wouldn't fit in their enclosure any more? Couldn't get the back on, I think.
Definitely was such a thread.  Someone gave some cool links about what was inside those switches.
The thread was about the switches not fitting.

Send:     . .- .-. - .... / - --- / --. --- .-. -
According to the water analogy of electricity, transistor leakage is caused by holes.

replaceablehead

I gotta be honest, even with a drill press I actually find drilling the enclosure holes to be the worst part of the whole build. So I'm happy for one less. Probably doesn't help that my drill press is in the cold dark garden shed and my soldering iron is in the nice warm office.

I wonder it's bad in terms of replacement, though. The more parts you combine the more parts you have to replace if one part of the part fails.

deadastronaut

looks wider and taller....a cool look though.  8)
https://www.youtube.com/user/100roberthenry
https://deadastronaut.wixsite.com/effects

chasm reverb/tremshifter/faze filter/abductor II delay/timestream reverb/dreamtime delay/skinwalker hi gain dist/black triangle OD/ nano drums/space patrol fuzz//

smallbearelec

Quote from: Mark Hammer on August 12, 2019, 11:18:54 AM

The maker is actually Daier. I already do business there, gotta find out how the economics works between minimum orde3r quantity and (*&%!! tariffs.

italianguy63

Quote from: smallbearelec on August 13, 2019, 06:31:30 AM
Quote from: Mark Hammer on August 12, 2019, 11:18:54 AM

The maker is actually Daier. I already do business there, gotta find out how the economics works between minimum orde3r quantity and (*&%!! tariffs.

I do business direct with Daier too.. they don't do "bulk" discounts...  But, I have found the more you buy, the better the overall price, albeit the shipping is usually about equal to the price of the product.  I have not encountered tariff issues (yet).  I am getting ready to do another order, and I'll let you know if it comes up.

And, interestingly, even with them being a wholesale vendor-- they don't have minimum quantity on most items.. Pots however I think is 1000 to 1500 pieces...

MC
I used to really be with it!  That is, until they changed what "it" is.  Now, I can't find it.  And, I'm scared!  --  Homer Simpson's dad

soggybag

Quote from: deadastronaut on August 13, 2019, 04:44:56 AM
looks wider and taller....a cool look though.  8)

The led ring is part of a box that slips over the top of a regular blue stomp switch. This makes the whole thing a little bigger around the outside and covers a little bit of the threaded shaft.

amz-fx

The rings are sold separately on Aliexpress but I can't ever sign in there because of errors...   >:(

regards, Jack

duck_arse

"Bring on the nonsense".

Jubz

Hi.

I often use these switches and really like them. The washer is so large it gives very cool enclosure design opportunities. They dont have problems fitting in 125b enclosures i think i have posted some gutshot of one about a year ago. I cant tell for 1590bb or 1590b should test soon. Some things to consider if you use them.

The led legs are very hard and you cant twist them. They can easily be used without a dedicated pcb but it looks kinda messy.

If i remember they need a 17.5mm diameter hole which is pretty large and not often practical. But the superior part of the illuminated washer extends a lot so 18mm is ok.

Its already mentionned but they need lower resistor values for the leg.