Tayda now carrying 3PDT stomps that light up

Started by Mark Hammer, August 11, 2019, 03:44:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark Hammer

I made myself an EA Tremolo a while back, with the mod that allows for an LED to indicate modulation rate.  Because one is more likely to want to adjust modulation rate when the pedal is not engaged, I wired up 3PDT to increase the current-limiting resistance to the LED when in bypass.  So, the LED is always on and flashing, but much dimmer when in bypass.  The simple approach is to pick a resistance that provides the "on" illumination you want, insert an additional resistor in series (e.g., 4k7 with 6k8 added), and use the stomp switch to bridge the dimming resistor when you engage the pedal.

Anyone know what sort of current-limiting resistance is optimal for those lighted rings?

vigilante397

Quote from: Mark Hammer on August 13, 2019, 12:52:14 PM
Anyone know what sort of current-limiting resistance is optimal for those lighted rings?

I still use 4k7 with them and they're what I consider a good brightness.
  • SUPPORTER
"Some people love music the way other people love chocolate. Some of us love music the way other people love oxygen."

www.sushiboxfx.com

italianguy63

I made a Daier order last night...

They do have this switch under part#PBS-24-302-N1 it comes in red,blue,purple and green.

$2.60 per pc.  Purple is $2.80.  (Plus shipping)

They also have a bi/color variety too if anyone is interested.
MC
I used to really be with it!  That is, until they changed what "it" is.  Now, I can't find it.  And, I'm scared!  --  Homer Simpson's dad

composition4

Quote from: amz-fx on August 13, 2019, 10:57:22 AM
The rings are sold separately on Aliexpress but I can't ever sign in there because of errors...   >:(

regards, Jack

Hi Jack, can you recall what your searched for? I like the LED ring but want to be able to use it with different stomps, i.e. momentary single pole Carling style (with the LED electronically switched of course), I prefer not to use 3PDT. I never knew the rings existed without being attached to the 3PDTs

smallbearelec

Quote from: composition4 on August 14, 2019, 09:33:41 AM
Hi Jack, can you recall what your searched for?

It's this:
https://www.globalsources.com/gsol/I/Indicator-light/p/sm/1163070263.htm#1163070263

I have ordered this whole product line from Daier and hope to have stock in 10 days or so.

Regards
SD

vigilante397

Quote from: smallbearelec on August 14, 2019, 02:55:10 PM
https://www.globalsources.com/gsol/I/Indicator-light/p/sm/1163070263.htm#1163070263

I have ordered this whole product line from Daier and hope to have stock in 10 days or so.

Well I'll definitely be picking some up on my next smallbear order 8) Another reason I haven't kept going with the illuminated switches is that I use low-profile switches for tight builds so I couldn't fit big switches, but this solves that problem ;D
  • SUPPORTER
"Some people love music the way other people love chocolate. Some of us love music the way other people love oxygen."

www.sushiboxfx.com

italianguy63

Quote from: vigilante397 on August 15, 2019, 02:53:03 PM

Well I'll definitely be picking some up on my next smallbear order 8) Another reason I haven't kept going with the illuminated switches is that I use low-profile switches for tight builds so I couldn't fit big switches, but this solves that problem ;D

I finished an order from Diaer/China last night.. I got 4 to play with...

So far, no tariff (on the China side)... ;)

MC
I used to really be with it!  That is, until they changed what "it" is.  Now, I can't find it.  And, I'm scared!  --  Homer Simpson's dad

italianguy63

Here is a pic. for comparison and reference:

The base on these is bulkier.. however, the pins footprint remains the same, plus the 2 small pins for the LED hookup.

As you can see the mounting depth required is greater.  You will need a 125B enclosure depth to use them.  i.e. "no go" on the 1590B, 1590BB, etc.

MC

Mark Hammer

I suppose one might be able to use them in a 1590B, but you'd probably have to have the brunt of the collar sticking out above the enclosure top, and maybe even leave out any pieces (locking washer, secondary nut) normally located between the switch and underside of the enclosure.  I wouldn't recommend any of that.

vigilante397

I've used them in 1590B before. It was close, but with the added depth of the lid they weren't shorting anywhere. I'll have to see if I can find pics of the guts of one of them.
  • SUPPORTER

www.sushiboxfx.com

italianguy63

Quote from: vigilante397 on August 29, 2019, 11:39:11 AM
I've used them in 1590B before. It was close, but with the added depth of the lid they weren't shorting anywhere. I'll have to see if I can find pics of the guts of one of them.

OK-- but you would have to be VERY careful with the wire routing...

I would recommend putting a thin Mylar "insulator" between.  Also, you would need to be careful with the DC jack too.. (maybe use "external nut" for more clearance because the switch is awful fat!

MC

vigilante397

I keep all my DC jacks on top of the box, so didn't have to worry about that. Anything that absolutely won't fit in a 1590B is a deal-breaker for me, so I have to find everything I can that will fit 8)
  • SUPPORTER

www.sushiboxfx.com

Mark Hammer

True to his word, Steve Daniels (Small Bear) is now carrying them as well.

soggybag

This is a Haunting Mids V3 in a 1590B from Tayda with one of those switches with the LED ring. Works good. No issues with height. I removed the wire "legs" from the LED ring PCB and soldered some flexible wires to make this work with the effect PCB layout.

I used a 4k7 resistor for the LED and it's not that bright. I don't think I'll bother to change this one but next time I'll go with a smaller value.

The hole needs to be a lot larger than for a standard stomp switch. Luckily the second to the last step on my unibit was the perfect size.

As far as Haunting Mids is concerned, I remember the controversy and secret forum. All that aside this is a great sounding Big Muff. Anyone who is into the Big Muff should build one.

The Layout I was working from uses a trimmer for the gain. I guess you're supposed to set it in some special way and forget about it. This is a 100k and sits between the first transistor and the first clipping stage. I replaced it with a A100K pot. Using an audio taper pot makes this control more useful. There is a lot of gain. With an audio taper pot the crazy over the top gain comes in the last 20% of the rotation.

composition4

It's this:

Regards
SD

Hey Steve, only just saw this - what are they listed under in your store? Can't seem to find them

pruttelherrie

Quote from: composition4 on January 02, 2020, 10:53:41 PM

It's this:

Regards
SD

Hey Steve, only just saw this - what are they listed under in your store? Can't seem to find them

Here you go:
http://smallbear-electronics.mybigcommerce.com/led-washers/

bluebunny

• SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...

composition4

Elijah-Baley

When I saw this kind of footswitch on Tayda I thought to use it for the 1590A boxes to save the space for the LED. :D But now I have some doubt because somebody said this footswitch doesn't fit in boxes less higher than the 125B (1590B and 1590BB). Very disappointing. Substantially we lose the advantage to save space inside and outside of the box in smaller boxes.

From the datasheet of Tayda:

I doesn't have the footswitch yet, and I can't measure it, so even if it's not so clear with this datasheet I'm assuming that from the 42mm of total height we should subtract 5mm + 5mm + 2,2mm + 4,2mm = 25,6mm, this should be the part inside the box.

The 1590A box I bought has this size: 90 x 38 x 30mm
The 1590B box has this size: 112 x 60 x 31mm
The 1590BB box has this size: 119 x 93,5 x 34mm
And just for comparing it, the 125B box has this size: 122 x 67 x 35mm

The internal space of the 1590A box is about 25mm, and I think we have 1mm more "inside" the cover, I can't measure it.
So we should get this internal space:
1590A = 26mm
1590B = 27mm
1590BB = 30mm
125B = 31mm

If these measurement are right, theorically this footswitch should fit even in the 1590A box, but this is only my hope and I could wrong, of course.
I know it's impossible to see if these footswiches fit into the box without to drill it, but if you have boxes and footswitch you could measure all this better than me.

(I guess the width of the footswitch should be ok with the 1590A, maybe moving it a bit far from the screw housing).
«There is something even higher than the justice which you have been filled with. There is a human impulse known as mercy, a human act known as forgiveness.»
Elijah Baley in Isaac Asimov's The Cave Of Steel